Airport Express woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Biggusmickus, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Biggusmickus macrumors newbie

In anticipation of picking up a new imac and time capsule or extreme next week, I thought that I'd dip a toe in by getting an express to see how it runs with our existing windows notebook and pc.

In 5 days I've managed to get the airport utility to recognize the base station on 4 occasions. On 3 of these occasions it dropped the connection during the setup and once it ran fine for 20 minutes, though when I carried the notebook more than 20 feet from the express, through a door, the signal dropped to low and then disconnected. Apart from this one occasion the express was right beside the notebook.

Oddly both airport utility and windows wireless connections recognize Airport Network 00295** every time I connect, but not the base station.

I've done multiple hard resets but despite following factory default reset instructions to the letter, I've yet to see 4 green flashes.

My first question is this. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong as I've followed the enclosed instructions to the letter? Are dropouts common and doe that range sound anyway right? My old Netgear and newer Linksys manage this range easily but I really wanted that itunes and print facility.

My second question is, assuming that I bring this back to the apple store, is there any point in trying an extreme or capsule. In other words are these other items likely to be more reliable and importantly have a greater range?

Sorry for the long-windedness but I'd really appreciate any help before I pack it up.
    Thanks

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I remember seeing some reports of Airport Express units that went bad after a few months of use. But I'm assuming you got the new N one? The stuff I saw was about the old ones...

I would DEFINITELY bring that back and try an Express replacement before looking at the other devices. If you don't get the flashes described when doing what the instructions say something is wrong. That should make it easy to get an exchange too.

I've used mine in speaker mode, as a wireless access point, and as a router. I really like its flexibility and posted about it recently.

3. daveseibert macrumors newbie

I agree with Murphy, Airport Expresses were known for being finicky, and some had to be returned. But, remember that to configure your AE with the airport utility, you have to have selected that wireless network, or have just reset it.

Also, remember that for windows users to be able to connect, the password needs to be 13 characters long. Weird, i know.