Airport Express works with existing router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wonderbread57, Jan 31, 2009.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I have a linksys wirless router in room A next to my cable modem
    I have a stero system in room B connected to my tv

I would like to play iTunes music on the stero system in room B.

Do I have to buy two AirPort Express routers? One connected to the internet in room A and one connected to my stero in room B?

thanks

2. mgclayton macrumors member

No, you can set up the Airport Express to act as a client to the LinkSys router. You can plug in your speakers and iTunes should find them with no problem at all.
    I have my Express running as a client to a LinkSys WRT350N, and it worked with the WRT54G before that.

3. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

like the post above me states.

you just need one AirPortExpress

Plug the stereo into the AEX audio jack, then in AirPort Utility (comes with the AirPort Extreme or on Apple.com Downloads site, set up the Airport express, select you want it to Join your network then select the network name and password and you should be good to go.

itunes will detect the additional wireless speakers and you should be set.

4. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks.

Any additional cables needed if I want to use the mini toslink (optical) to connect from the AirPort express to receiver?

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

if the receiver is standard TOSLink/Optical then you will need a mini-toslink adapter and thats about it.

but other wise you dont need any other wires or configuration.

goodluck, hope it works out well for you!

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

one note, to set up the express, you'll need to temporarily plug it in via ethernet. either to your existing network, or directly to your computer. If it's easier to do this somewhere other than the final location, that's fine, you can unplug and move it once you are configured.

also if you need cables, don't forget to check out monoprice. They are significantly cheaper than anything you'll find locally. you can get mini to toslink cables up to 12 feet for under $3.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

thats not necessarily true.
    because justlike a computers Wifi it will pick up the signal to communicate, you actually just need the AirPort Utility installed first so the communication protocol can work and ocmmunicate properly to the devices (that is if hes using a Windows Computer, Macs come with it preinstalled)

i have an Express (802.11n), all you need to do is:
    1) install AirPort Utility,
    2) Plug in your Express to your outlet where you want it (you dont need to hook it via Ethernet or anything like that) you can plug you audio cables in aswell at this point.
    3) Launch AirPort Utility, it will show the Express...click on continue...it will then further you to instructions on setting it up.

First it will ask if you have a wireless connection, you select yes, then it will ask if you want to replace an item on the network or join it and you want to select Join.
    Then at that point you find your wireless network in a list of available ones, type your password, continue.

then following that it should recognize the network, show the settings and say its good to go and will restart.

Upon restarting it will reappear back into the airport utility...next to the item picture you will see a colored Circle....Green is good, orange means theres something up..physically check the AEX to make sure its a solid green and then in itunes you can direct all your audio to your new wifi speaker system.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

I stand corrected, i thought i had tried to do the initial configuration over wireless in the past to do that and it wouldn't work.
    I just restored an express to defaults and was able to get airport utility to connect to it.

I thought that if you were already connected to a wireless network it couldn't see the express (which is making a different wireless network). Maybe mine already was set up when i tried that.

9. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

No problem.

Yeah what airport utility usually does (specifically with windows and older macs/non-leopard machines) is that it installs the proper communication protocols to communicate between the computers wireless and the apple wireless device.

The Express acts say just like a computers wireless card that its looking for a network too and just needs to be pointed to the right device and connection.
    Or better yet like an ipod touch....they all use the same wireless card and protocol.

because the Express wont Just show up in network devices since it has no network to point to....thats why it autodetects when over ethernet, its a direct communication no additional protocol needed.

just to give you a better understanding.

happy computing!:)

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

actually it's not an "additional communication protocol." It's just regular old wi-fi.
    I'm guessing all it does is recognizes a certain naming scheme in the SSID on the unconfigured airport device. In much the same way that you can see multiple network names in your airport list even when connected to a network.

If you want to configure that device, airport utility will cause your computer to drop the connection to your existing network and join the new network created by the airport base.

the only "additional protocol" is bonjour which is used even when there is a hardwire connection. All bonjour is, is a way for devices to advertise available services over the local network.