airport express... worth it??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i.maverick, Apr 14, 2008.

1. i.maverick macrumors regular

i.maverick

it's $99.99, but over here, due to the taxes, it comes to something around $130. I know it's the only router through which you can make airtunes work, but so many other routers are available for much lesser. Also, on the reviews, the performance is not that great. So, is it worth it, and should I go ahead and buy it?
    One more thing, how different is airport express on 802.11g from an airport express on 802.11n?

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If you don't have super high speeds on your ISP, and don't plan on using it to stream iTunes, then you could easily save money on the older version, and not notice any difference. But the 802.11n is more future proof, so if you're wanting to use it for say 5 years, then you'd be better off getting the newer version, as ISP bandwidth will go up, depending on your area. A simple phone call to your ISP could likely give you a heads up on whether or not this is likely to happen anytime soon.

If you plan to use the express as your main router, have a smallish space, and want to stream iTunes, then it's a good option for the price. Otherwise, look into other brands, and read reviews of those on your short list to see what will work best for your needs.

I use the Airport Extreme, and recently purchased the express to extend my range in my home, but I have way too many wireless gadgets to use it as my only router. Good luck to you!

3. i.maverick thread starter macrumors regular

i.maverick

hey.. thanks for the advice.. I primarily have to use two devices, my macbook and iphone. Also, I stay in a small studio apartment, so the range is also not that important, however, airtunes is. So i think I'll wait for the 802.11 n. Another month. man!
    lol..!
    tkcre!