Airport Express x3 question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhett7660, Nov 6, 2011.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello All..

I am currently running the following:

Verizon fios wired and wireless
    • Running out of my media closet.
    • Also have a 8 port 10/100/1000 port switch all computers have gig nic cards.

3 hard wired Airport Express
    • One in the closet #1
    • One in the living room #2
    • One in the Master bedroom #3

I have all the Airport Express and the Verizon Wireless setup on the same name and setup on the same password. All are broadcasting at 802.11n.

Wireless mode: Create a wireless network (when I have changed to either join or extend I will either get an error with the express or the express will blink yellow green. The create was the only one I could get to work.

On the expresses #1, #2 and #3 they are setup to "allow this network to be extended".

They are all using WPA2 personal for security.

I can move about the house, however the signal will drop as I move from express to express. Now I have figured is because they are on different frequencies etc. However with #3 the signal is almost gone completely. The express is hard wired so I am wondering what the problem might be. The rest are doing fine given the houses structure etc.

Sorry for the long post wanted to make sure I have all the info any one would need to help this out.

Thanks

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Sounds like everything should be right, but you want to be sure they are all named the same and are on the same wireless channels. That is one thing you don't mention. They should be on identical wifi channels.

Technically they should be within range of one another so that you could possibly choose to "extend" a network not "create" a network.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thanks for the reply. They are named the same and have the same password.

If they are not in range of each other but they are hard wired back to switch it should still be sending out a strong signal correct? The signal just seems really weak and I am not getting full bars when I am right next to it. I do get full bars when I am near the others.