AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by merrickdrfc, Feb 24, 2011.

1. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

I've just bought an AirPort Express in an attempt to make my network quicker. I have a Belkin WLAN G Modem/Router and was finding it couldn't cope with the Apple TV 2G streaming very well. So I bought an AirPort Express, I've joined it up today and pressed Join to existing network; all is working fine. But my question is, will this help reduce the strain on my Belkin router and increase speed etc ?

Cheers

2. lostime macrumors regular

I would put the Express as the primary router since it's an "N" device. Then connect your other router directly to it via ethernet. That way you'll have a separate "N" network and a separate "G" network. That way everything in your house will connect up to the fastest thing possible.

Of course this is if you are talking about streaming movies from one device on your network to another. If this is about streaming off the internet then it really wont matter since "G" speed (54Mbps) is still faster than your internet connection.

3. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, this is what i've done. I've connected the Belkin modem/Router to the AE via. ethernet and now have separate 'G' and 'N' networks (at 5GHz) with the AirPort using the belkin as the modem. It's working perfectly with the my Apple TV, much faster at streaming across the network. Thanks for the reply. :D