Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ninquewylia, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ninquewylia macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I just bought an used Airport Express from a friend and using the Airport Utility I found out that there's no 802.11n feature anywhere.
    I'd like to know if there's something wrong or how can I find out if my Airport has this feature.

It's using 6.3 firmware and that's all I know so far.
    Thank you!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I haven't used an airport express recently, but I know the old ones without N looked the same as the current ones. Since you bought it used, I'd guess that you bought an old model that didn't have N. But since you bought it from a friend I'd try asking him if it has it or not.

3. ninquewylia thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Try to update the firmware. If it won't let you go past 6.3 then there is nothing you can do because you have the older model.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

in airport utility on the main page with the devices down the left. In the right hand panel it will say "AirPort Utility found an AirPort Express with 802.11n." or "AirPort Utility found an AirPort Express."

also, the older G models stop at firmware 6.3, while N goes to 7.5.2 currently.
    so sounds like you have the G version.

if you don't have the N version, there's nothing you can do to get N.

one thing to keep in mind, G is faster than most home internet connections, so the only time you'll see a difference between G and N is when you are copying files from one computer to another on your network.

6. ninquewylia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I definitely have the G version...
    The problem is the range... I really need good range and everyone recommended me a 802.11n router for that.

The range difference between Airport G and N is big?

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, that sort of depends on why you are having range problems. Is it many walls or other objects that's limiting you? Is there wireless interference (many other networks, wireless phones, microwave ovens etc.)?

What range are we talking about anyway? How far do you get now, and how far do you need it to go? Is the problem that you don't get a connection at all, or that you get a weak one that's too slow?

If interference is the problem, a new Airport Express running a 5GHz network will probably perform much better than the old one at the very common 2.4GHz.

If there are walls and objects in the way, try placing the Express as high as possible, so that the signal won't have to pass through quite as much furniture and other objects on the way to the computer. Most people put the Express near the floor because that's where the power socket is. Range-wise thats almost always the worst place.

8. ninquewylia thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in a building full of wireless connections. My macbook gets at least 15 of them every time I make a scan.
    The problem is:

The Airport Express is located at my apartment, but almost 100% of the time I'm using the macbook I'm one floor down, which is my friend's home.
    So I guess the Airport gets blocked by two or three concrete walls.

The distance between the place I usually stay and the AE is 15 meters, with 3 concrete walls and A LOT of wireless interference.

I have a 10Mb connection, when I connect the modem directly to the macbook, it gets around 1.2MB/s of download, connected to the AE down at my friend's it downloads at 300KB/s tops, usually it's around 100˜220KB/s.
    It's killing me!

I tried changing to five or six channels and nothing.
    My other friend who shares connection with me does not have a laptop capable of 802.11n and changing computers/cards is not an option.

Is there any way to improve the connection without getting a new router for now?
    Sorry for English mistakes.

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Sounds like a pretty though situation for wireless.

About the only thing you can do without investing in new hardware is to try different positions for the Express and see if some positions are less obstructed than others, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Good luck!