Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimMumford86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
My airport express will no longer acknowledge that I have plugged a cable into it. It is not even a month old. As well before it started to tell me that. It worked fine for a week or so, but started disconnecting a bunch randomly. It started then showing in diagnostics that everything was working except the internet and server. I have tried reseting the thing and starting from scratch a few times with no luck...I am seriously frustrated with this thing.. Please help!

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Sounds like it is having trouble communicating with the modem or is defective. Take it to an Apple Store and have it checked.

I see your other post about the same problem. Since you are overseas the Apple Store is out of the question. You really shouldn't make two posts about the same thing.

Have you reset the modem?
Bad cable?
How did you reset the AE? Hard or soft? Soft just restarts it. Hard resets to factory.

See if any of this helps
Apple Support for Airport Express

Last edited:

TimMumford86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I apologize about the double post, had trouble locating the original post I had done. I have done both a hard and soft reset, as well have tried multiple cables through out the tent. When I hook the cables directly to the computer everything works fine. It would be a shame for this to be defective as it is brand new. we use Edgecity Networks as our ISP, and we regularly are blacked out, just one day after a black out was lifted the Airport express never worked the same. I also did not purchase it from an apple store, as they do not ship over seas (you have to pay them to ship it to UPS , then pay UPS to ship it to an APO address last product I did this with took over two months to get here and was freaking ridiculously expensive due to the shipping costs) So I ordered it From AAFES(no shipping cost) which is part of the military, so I am assuming that they are a licensed dealer? Any other Ideas, as well sometimes when I restart the airport express, it has trouble scanning for it in the airport utility, takes two or three scans before it will pick it up even if the light is green and the computer is 2 feet away.

TimMumford86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
No need to be sorry, thank you so much for replying! It honestly means a lot as I am no computer genius, and am very very very new to Mac. Gave my PC away to a guy over here who could not afford one and bought me and the wife Mac book pro's. I am hooked on Mac and products whether the AE is defective or not :)

TimMumford86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I will keep trying to trouble shoot, as I have nothing but time over here to do so :). If I come up with a solution, hopefully I can remember and pass it on!

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I had this kind of trouble with my AE the other day after installing a new Time Capsule. It took me about seven hard resets of the AE and a bunch of rescans in the AirPort Utility. I think it's a glitch in the latest iteration of AirPort Utility.
Reboot the modem and keep trying the AE resets.
Good luck.

TimMumford86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I'll keep trying to reset. Where you also having an issue where the Airport Express was not picking up that a DSN cable was hooked into it?. When I hook the line directly to my computer though it works fine.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I'll keep trying to reset. Where you also having an issue where the Airport Express was not picking up that a DSN cable was hooked into it?. When I hook the line directly to my computer though it works fine.

I had to Google DSN. It's some kind of military system used mainly for voice communication. I have no idea how (or even if) it works with an AirPort Express. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.