Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I'm thinking of buying an airport express and I've read a lot about it not being able to extend the range of third party wifi routers but I dont want to do that, I just want to use it as a wireless print and audio server, does this present any compatability problems?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Nope, as OS X finds the Printer and Audio equipment via "Bonjour/Rendezvous" it doesn't matter if you also have a 3rd party router. The problems occur when you, as you stated, try and WDS an Express with a 3rd party router. WDS is when two base stations work in tandem to increase the range of the wireless network. As you've said, you don't want to extend the range in that way, so you wont come across any WDS problems.

My worry however, is that if your 3rd party router is attached to your mac wirelessly then you wont be able to use the Airport express as a print or audio server, as they'll be on their own wireless network, generated by the Airport Express itself. If however, you are connected to your router through an ethernet cable AND your computer is airport/wireless compatible then you'll be able to be connected to both routers.

Another solution is to make the airport express your router by connecting its ethernet/wan port to your other router. Then you connect your computers to the internet VIA the Express and not your existing one. However, it would then appear you wasted money in the first place buying a wireless router.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
So I cant add an Airport express to my wireless network and have wireless audio and printing without either connecting anything by wire?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
cobra01977 said:
So I cant add an Airport express to my wireless network and have wireless audio and printing without either connecting anything by wire?

Yes, you can add the airport express as a client of your existing wireless network - i.e. just plug it in without an ethernet cable and you'll be able to use it for AirTunes. I can't remember if you can use the print functionality in this way though.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
I can't remember if you can use the print functionality in this way though.
That and the audio ius kind of the main point of buying it, I suspect you can print like that but I want to be sure

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
dietcokevanilla said:
Yes, you can add the airport express as a client of your existing wireless network - i.e. just plug it in without an ethernet cable and you'll be able to use it for AirTunes. I can't remember if you can use the print functionality in this way though.

The AirTunes and Printer thing is essentially the same thing. Anyway, a wireless card in your computer can only access one network at a time. The AirTunes and Printer will be on the network created by the Airport Express, whereas Cobra's computer will be connected to his other router, thus not being able to access both at the same time.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
The AirTunes and Printer thing is essentially the same thing. Anyway, a wireless card in your computer can only access one network at a time. The AirTunes and Printer will be on the network created by the Airport Express, whereas Cobra's computer will be connected to his other router, thus not being able to access both at the same time.
But why cant the express join the other network?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
cobra01977 said:
That and the audio ius kind of the main point of buying it, I suspect you can print like that but I want to be sure

I would test this for you, but unfortunately I can't as my 3rd party wireless router broke so at the moment my airport express is connected to a wired modem/router that i've borrowed from work. I know that before I could connect it to my existing network and use it for streaming my iTunes, but I never tried the print functionality out when it was connected up that way. So the way I have it set up right now is with the Airport Express as my one and only wireless access point.

The only thing I would say is that if you connect the Airport Express to your existing network, don't have it too far from your main wireless router otherwise you might experience drops in your AirTunes streaming.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
From reading the setup guide it can join another wireless network and stream audio and share the printer

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
OK I've just found the setup guide booklet and here's what it says (page 31):

Connecting to an Existing Wireless Network
You can use the AirPort Express Assistant to join an existing wireless network. When you connect your AirPort Express to your home stereo, computers on your wireless network can use AirTunes to play music on your stereo from iTunes. If you connect a USB printer to your AirPort Express, all of the computers on the network can print to it.

...so i guess that means that yes both airtunes and print functionality can be achieved if you connect it to your existing network

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Also can I ask as a seperate question, if you set it up as a wifi router with an adsl modem connected by wire can any pc with 802.11b/g use the connection or do they have to have the airport setup thingy installed?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
cobra01977 said:
Also can I ask as a seperate question, if you set it up as a wifi router with an adsl modem connected by wire can any pc with 802.11b/g use the connection or do they have to have the airport setup thingy installed?

Any mac or pc with a wireless card will be able to use the connection. You'll only need the AirPort Setup Assistant on one of those machines (this is the configuration software for the airport express itself)

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
Any mac or pc with a wireless card will be able to use the connection. You'll only need the AirPort Setup Assistant on one of those machines (this is the configuration software for the airport express itself)
Ah, thats great as I have a powerbook and my housemates next term have windows xp laptops.

Thanks for all the help everyone

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
cobra01977 said:
Ah, thats great as I have a powerbook and my housemates next term have windows xp laptops.

Thanks for all the help everyone

The box itself says "Mac + PC" but I haven't personally tried mine with a pc. I have had friends round with other mac laptops and they can immediately connect to my network and stream their itunes to my stereo.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, it's a great product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.