Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tech198, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Does anyone like the 'new' Airport Express ?

For the life of me, I can't really figure out why a WAN port is *needed*

The older "AC, plug style" was more convient to carry round.

I gather, of course, now, you have *two* hockey-puck style devices, one Apple TV, and one Airport Express, which no one would notice, apart from the color, at least from the front anyway.

The fact you can connect the old style AE to your DSL anyway or another wired network, this made more sense, to slip into a pocket iin your bag..

Try fitting the new one all in one pocket.

Of course, no it wouldn't be stuck behind a desk anymore, which is good, you now have a second device/power cable to carry round (when needed.)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I hate the new design also. I suspect they were going after the "grandma with an iPad" market with the new one.

I have used the old AE for travel for years and really like the plug in design with no power cord. I actually just bought a second old style AE to keep as a spare since I don't see any good, comparable products out there.

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Ditto folks..

I prefer the older model and wish Apple would have just updated it a bit and leave it alone. Will not purchase the new one and hope the next model will improve it with a better more portable design with Gigabit speed, and the newest standard, but highly doubt it now. :(

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Good to know i'm not the only one.

However, i just had a check of the old AE's Tech Specs, it can also do 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands... So this isn't a new.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I can understand the reasoning behind the new model, but axing the old one was a really dumb move. I think Dlink has come out with an equivalent without airplay.

6. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Can both Ethernet be used when extending the wireless network? Would be excellent in my AV rack, could connect my bluray and dvr box to the net and get AirPlay audio to my receiver.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Had not heard of the DLink device. Looks like it is out now and available on Amazon. From the specs it looks like it would be a nice replacement for an Airport Express is you don't need Airplay.

8. ibis99 macrumors regular

Airplay

IMO - the only point of the AE is for Airplay. Otherwise...

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Amazon reviews from customers on the D-Link model have not be kind to this new product so a wait and see is in order :(

10. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Dlink's first round of firmware on new models tends to be glitchy, but they are pretty good about addressing it. Much better than Linksys or Netgear, IMO.

And if we are lucky, someone will manage to get tomato firmware on it. :)

11. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

The new one can do simultaneous dual band. The old one could not.