Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thatoneguy82, Jul 14, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I know that the APE works to stream audio and print. I have one, but when I had it set up, I set it up as "extend wireless network." Now, if I were to purchase another one and set it up further away where the WiFi signal is low, would that boost it? Also, would it allow me to have full access to the speed that I have (FiOS 75/35)?

And oh, the difference in location is 75-100 ft, outdoors. When going to that other location, I still get a signal albeit sporadically.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Every time an Airport base station extends the range of another Airport base station, the speed of the network is cut in half for the next base station down the line. Example: Base station 1 puts out internet at 10Mbps. Base station 2 extends 1 and outputs 5Mbps. Base station 3 extends 2 and outputs 2.5Mpbs. This effects all network traffic going through the extending base stations.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ah okay, I understand. Basically, this APE will be extended from the Base Station (Time Capsule) not the other APE. I dont even know if that's what you were alluding to. My main concern basically is if I put an APE in the other house, would it boost the signal enough that it can be a usable WiFi network? The only use would be AppleTV applications (iTunes Streaming/Home Sharing/Netflix) and Airprint from iDevices.

It's currently 69.99 as an Apple refurb, which is better than the $100 I paid last time. But, I hate returning online purchases, so I want to make sure it will work, at least conceptually.

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I believe all extended routers have to connect directly to the original base router.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If done via WDS they don't. Otherwise base station 2 and three could connect to each other and create a loop with no internet.

6. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Pardon my ignorance about about all of this. Again, my plan is: purchase an APE. Put said APE to a house (indoors) about 75-100 ft away. Often, I connect to the network I want the APE to connect to/extend through my MBP. If the APE is present, would it "boost" the WiFi signal and I guess improve internet speed (? IDK proper name). Currently, connecting to the un-extended network through my MBP. Ideally, I'd like that to continue but with a much higher signal and also an ethernet port that's connected to my network/internet with a respectable speed; I will be connecting to AppleTV and use AirPrint sporadically.

7. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Is this speed still cut if you have an Airport Express connected via Ethernet to an Airport Extreme and boosting the wifi range?

8. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

No. The speed hit is only due to both units sharing the wireless spectrum.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have the Express setup to extend the network, yes. For best results when using Ethernet to extend a network, you should setup the devices to be a roaming network: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260