Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakesaunders27, Aug 13, 2012.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi All
    I'm looking at buying the new Airport Express, at the moment we have internet coming into a Netgear Router which gives off 2 Wifi networks but connected to the router we also have a Time Capsule, so i was thinking if i buy a Airport Express I will be able to have a wired network in my bedroom if i just connect a switch to the Express because current circumstances don't allow me to run a cable from the kit downstairs to my room so will this work and if so how would i set it up etc.

Thanks

Jake

2. alexk403 macrumors member

Wouldn't it me better to get rid of the netgear router and and have your internet in going straight into the time capsule, and that acting as the main router since a time capsule is a backup system as well as an airport extreme?

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Because we live in a bigish house and the time capsule wifi signal is rubbish. Do you think what i want to do will work?

Jake

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

OK...so you've got a Netgear doing wifi. And it doesn't reach your bedrm.

And you've got a TC attached to the Netgear; ethernet??

And you need wifi in the bdrm.

Why not just move the TC to the bdrm and have it re-broadcast from there??

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Sorry I think I'm confusing everyone the wifi (from the netgear) reaches my room but I can't run a cable up to my room from the router, Becuase I just want Ethernet in my room for my pc, raspberry pi, nas, and soon my MacBook air. So just wanted to know if the airport express is the device I need for this, is that a better explanation

Thanks for all the help so far guys

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Something like this will suit your needs better I believe, and it'll work regardless of what's creating your wireless network:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127256

Edit: Some further explanation, you'll want to use it in wireless bridge mode (see the list of features), not as a wireless access point.

7. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

So this device connects to my netgear router and gives me a wired network in my bedroom?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes.