Airport Express

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm looking at buying the new Airport Express, at the moment we have internet coming into a Netgear Router which gives off 2 Wifi networks but connected to the router we also have a Time Capsule, so i was thinking if i buy a Airport Express I will be able to have a wired network in my bedroom if i just connect a switch to the Express because current circumstances don't allow me to run a cable from the kit downstairs to my room so will this work and if so how would i set it up etc.

Thanks

Jake

alexk403

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
Wouldn't it me better to get rid of the netgear router and and have your internet in going straight into the time capsule, and that acting as the main router since a time capsule is a backup system as well as an airport extreme?

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Wouldn't it me better to get rid of the netgear router and and have your internet in going straight into the time capsule, and that acting as the main router since a time capsule is a backup system as well as an airport extreme?
Because we live in a bigish house and the time capsule wifi signal is rubbish. Do you think what i want to do will work?

Jake

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
OK...so you've got a Netgear doing wifi. And it doesn't reach your bedrm.

And you've got a TC attached to the Netgear; ethernet??

And you need wifi in the bdrm.

Why not just move the TC to the bdrm and have it re-broadcast from there??

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
OK...so you've got a Netgear doing wifi. And it doesn't reach your bedrm.

And you've got a TC attached to the Netgear; ethernet??

And you need wifi in the bdrm.

Why not just move the TC to the bdrm and have it re-broadcast from there??

Sorry I think I'm confusing everyone the wifi (from the netgear) reaches my room but I can't run a cable up to my room from the router, Becuase I just want Ethernet in my room for my pc, raspberry pi, nas, and soon my MacBook air. So just wanted to know if the airport express is the device I need for this, is that a better explanation

Thanks for all the help so far guys

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Yes.

WIRELESS BRIDGE MODE

Use the Xtreme N™ Duo Wireless Bridge / Access Point (DAP-1522) to connect up to 4 Ethernet-enabled devices such as Game Consoles, Digital Video Recorders (DVR), and Digital Media Adapters (DMA) to your wireless network.