Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vernod, Oct 3, 2012.

1. vernod macrumors newbie

Hi,

I want to get seamless wifi coverage throughout my apartment. Its about 3000 square feet and rectangular in shape with the cable modem at the center of the apartment (I don't get signal at rooms towards the ends). I currently use a 300 mbps dlink router.

Can airport express solve my problem? Would I need multiple devices and would they act as repeaters (thereby lowering my speed)? I'm fed up with flaky wifi around the apartment.

Thx!

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Yes and Yes.

You could use more than one 'Express' if you wanted - as you set up the second (or third) they will automatically detect your existing wireless network and offer the ability to become an extension of that network.

3. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

But they dont work as extenders with any base router do they? You either need a Apple router in the first place, or you need to setup WDS (Wireless Distribution System). So your main router has to support this technology. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. TerryReis macrumors newbie

At home I have a Netgear as the main router with a Time Capsule and an Airport Express to extend wireless coverage and provide backup. It's been a while since I set the Time Capsule up but I remember being impressed by how simple and painless it was, it is connected by wired ethernet to the Netgear and immediately offered the option of bridging to it. The Airport Express is also connected to the Netgear by wired and setup offered the option to extend the wireless network I set up with the Time Capsule.

Based on the experience with these two I will at sometime replace my main router for an Apple product. Waiting for an impending update but don't feel in any hurry everything works fine.

Apple products are by far the easiest/simplest networking products I have ever used. They just work.

5. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

They may just work, but they are a little bit too simple for meg personally when it comes to network functionality.