AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LionNav, May 29, 2013.

1. LionNav macrumors newbie

Help.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, so bear with me. I am trying to set up a home network and am really struggling. My goal is to be able to use an external hard drive to access pictures, movies and music via iTunes.

I have a brand new Macbook Air - literally 2 weeks old. I have a Verizon Wireless cable modem and have hooked up an Airport Express to this via ethernet. I then hooked up a Seagate 4TB hard drive to the Airport Express via USB cable.

I have downloaded the driver for the hard drive to my laptop and have run Airport Utility. I can locate the Airport Express, however I cannot 'see' the hard drive.

I have followed the posted instructions several times, but I still can't make this work.

Any help making this work would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Airport Express does not have the ability to use hard drives, only printers via its USB port. Only the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme can access and share hard drives.

3. LionNav thread starter macrumors newbie

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

When you plug the external USB hard drive into your MacBook, does it mount to the desktop?

Once you know that the drive will mount in OSX and is formatted the way you want it, plug it into your Airport Extreme.

In Airport Utility, you need to set up the Extreme to share your hard disk on the network. Once you've set up the Extreme to share your drive on the network, it should be visible in the Finder Window Sidebar.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5095

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Here's a screenshot of Airport Utility (both the new graphical version and the older, more capable version).

Attached Files:

6. LionNav thread starter macrumors newbie

So... I loaded the drivers for the hard drive (my computer identified it) and then connected it to the APE. I then went into Airport Utility and it will not find the hard drive.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it possible the 4TB HD is too large for the APE? Or that the Seagate is incompatible?

7. jay47 macrumors member

Connect the drive to a mac computer & open disk utility . Format the new drive OS X Extended (Journaled).

The extreme will not recognise the drive until its os x formatted using a mac .

Unplug the power cord for the extreme router , plug in the hard drive & reapply power to the router .