Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
hi everyone i just easily (!) convinced my mom to buy an airport express; she liked the idea of wireless music. it will bridge any network, not just an airport one, right? i have a d-link router. thankx

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
mad jew said:
It will attach itself to any 802.11B/G network however it will only extend the range of an AirPort network. :)

Ok, this is an answer to a question I was about to post, but what is the difference in attaching itself and extending the network?

I want to hook my usb HP printer and a set of speakers in my office to the network that is provided by a Netgear router...will this work?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mad jew said:
It will attach itself to any 802.11B/G network however it will only extend the range of an AirPort network. :)

*cough cough* or buffalo equipment...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
scollie41 said:
Ok, this is an answer to a question I was about to post, but what is the difference in attaching itself and extending the network?

Well, if it merely attaches itself to an existing network it doesn't use its own broadcasting power to extend the range (distance from original router that still receive signal) of that network. It will be on the network (you'll be able to access it) but the range will stay the same.

scollie41 said:
I want to hook my usb HP printer and a set of speakers in my office to the network that is provided by a Netgear router...will this work?

Assuming your printer is compatible with the Express this should work well and be relatively easy to set up. :)

superbovine said:
*cough cough* or buffalo equipment...

I've heard pretty mixed reports about this as to whether it works at all. Does it work out of the box or does it need a hack?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mad jew said:
I've heard pretty mixed reports about this as to whether it works at all. Does it work out of the box or does it need a hack?

the airport express runs a broadcom technology like a lot of apple wireless products do. I believe some of the older airports base stations and cards are buffalo. The people chips they use is broadcom which is what the airport express uses. BTW broadcom sells chips to buffalo, apple, motorola, belkin and linksys. Anyway it stands to reason that buffalo technology would work with an airport express because I imagine the routers that buffalo has out uses the same WDS standard since there is no universal standard for logically all broadcom firmware would probably worked together with WDS.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/why...icially-extend-nonairport-networks-015834.php

Buffalo and Apple's equipment often works together, for instance. Linksys has chosen to use WDS as an either/or: either its WRT54G (for example) is a bridge or it's an access point. Apple and Buffalo allow either/and/or: you can make a base station a bridge (for Ethernet connected devices), a gateway, or a bridge and gateway.

but yeah it works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.