Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Snorsh, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Snorsh macrumors newbie

I'm having a real big problem with a brand new Airport Express. I want to use it as a bridge to extend my existing wireless network. I have a MBP, (mid 2012)running yosemite, 10.1.
    The bridge option is greyed out on Airport utility, I can connect to the Express both wirelessly and hard wire but it keeps dropping out. See attached.
    There is also a big red 1 by the icon. However there is no update button anywhere.

Not happy and a bit frustrated, all I want to do is extend the network because my wife's computer is not wireless and I don't want to drill holes in the walls to facilitate the running of ethernet cables upstairs.

Can anyone help? Regards Iain

Attached Files:

2. Snorsh thread starter macrumors newbie

And now it won't connect AT ALL. Is this a software issue?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

it will only extend the network from other apple devices.

if you're just using it as a wireless adapter for your wife's computer, have it join the network instead of extend.
    I'm not sure if it's still there, but look for a checkbox "allow wired clients" and make sure that's checked

It's much more reliable to connect wired while you're trying to set it up. so try from your wife's computer, or run a temp cable to your laptop.

if you still can't see it, do a factory reset.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Begin by performing a factory reset. What is the main router on this network? I have found AirPort Utility on Yosemite to be buggy to say the least so far. If you only want this to act as a wireless adapter, then do not use the Extend A Network option but rather Join a Network.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. Snorsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks peeps, I did the factory reset and then joined the network. It worked fine. The Bell technicians said I would be able to extend the network as the router/modem they supply does not have a great wireless range. However after talking to the Tech staff at the support site, I would have to open a port on the modem to extend the wireless and this Bell do not support. So, I settled for a crappy wireless signal but a happy wife. Thanks again.