Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Hi All,

I have an Internet system at home which feeds in from an antenna on the roof (long range wifi type setup - I live fairly rural). It feeds into an AirPort Extreme, wired connection to an Airport Express upstairs and then another Airport Express (wireless) in the kitchen.

Ran very well, so we'll I'd say superb, for the last 6 months. Today the kitchen has started dropping out and flashing orange on me - silly thing is it's still playing music to an attached speaker via AirPlay ?

So... I've tried powering on and off, looked at AirPort app and reset from in that it regardless, 15-30 minutes later it starts flashing again and won't route Internet, only AirPlay.

Any tips on what to try next please?

Thanks.

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
image.png

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
A full reset didn't help.

I've moved it closer to the Extreme to see if that helps... Not a long term fix though as the speakers need to be in the kitchen :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you try swapping the bedroom's Airport Express with the kitchen's to see if the issue occurs with that unit?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Was your full reset done by through the reset button on the device or through software? (I don't know if this generation has them, but on the previous Airport Express units there was a button to press with a pencil to give a true factory reset).

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
did you reboot all of the wireless? the problem might actually be with the bedroom extreme.

Is there a chance you got any new toys for christmas?
cordless phone, webcam, baby monitor, microwave oven to name a few.

also look at "powerline networking" if you're unable to run a cable to the kitchen extreme, and then set it up the same way you have the bedroom set up

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Your wireless extension will mean the whole network is running at n speed. If you can wire it via Powerline adaptors it should solve the problem and allow your Extreme to run WiFi at full speed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you can wire it via Powerline adaptors it should solve the problem and allow your Extreme to run WiFi at full speed.
Please explain in more details, are you saying use powerline adapaters that then plug directly into the airport express? In effect using two types of network extenders (powerline and airport express) or am I misunderstanding your post?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Yes, that's right. Disable The wireless radio in the powerline adaptor and use the Airport Express for seamless switching from one access point or frequency band to another, and keep your Extreme at max WiFi speed.

Reactions: maflynn

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you have the bedroom hardwired,

the powerline networking will allow the kitchen to be connected the same way, although instead of ethernet the entire way from the extreme, You'll use the power line to get the ethernet to the kitchen.

so...
Extreme --short ethernet--> powerline adapter --House electric wiring--> powerline adapter --short ethernet--> Kitchen airport

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.