Airport Express

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
My college has a free wireless netowork that covers the campus. Could I have an Airport Express connect to the internet from the wireless network, and then have a USB printer and ethernet external harddrive hooked up the the express? Ideally, I would like to be able to connect to the HDD remotly, but I do not know if that is possible (Back to My Mac maybe? since it is not a USB HDD, it would be connected to the ethernet port on the Airport). That would be perfect if it would work because I could have my HDD, printer, and speakers all wireless.

thanks,
ross

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My college has a free wireless netowork that covers the campus. Could I have an Airport Express connect to the internet from the wireless network, and then have a USB printer and ethernet external harddrive hooked up the the express? Ideally, I would like to be able to connect to the HDD remotly, but I do not know if that is possible (Back to My Mac maybe? since it is not a USB HDD, it would be connected to the ethernet port on the Airport). That would be perfect if it would work because I could have my HDD, printer, and speakers all wireless.

thanks,
ross
Hmmm, I suppose it would work in theory as long as they are using Airport Extreme's which I highly doubt. If not, you're up a creek. Let's just say it's a long shot at best.

You should still be able to get wireless printing and AirTunes up though. Although I can't remember if you can password protect your printer as it would show up on everyone's computer (I know you can for AirTunes).

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
No they are not using Extremes. I could plug the Airport into the network directly using ethernet, but then I would lose the spot for my HDD. If only the Extreme had AirTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.