Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ross.32, Nov 7, 2007.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

My college has a free wireless netowork that covers the campus. Could I have an Airport Express connect to the internet from the wireless network, and then have a USB printer and ethernet external harddrive hooked up the the express? Ideally, I would like to be able to connect to the HDD remotly, but I do not know if that is possible (Back to My Mac maybe? since it is not a USB HDD, it would be connected to the ethernet port on the Airport). That would be perfect if it would work because I could have my HDD, printer, and speakers all wireless.

thanks,
    ross

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hmmm, I suppose it would work in theory as long as they are using Airport Extreme's which I highly doubt. If not, you're up a creek. Let's just say it's a long shot at best.

You should still be able to get wireless printing and AirTunes up though. Although I can't remember if you can password protect your printer as it would show up on everyone's computer (I know you can for AirTunes).

3. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

No they are not using Extremes. I could plug the Airport into the network directly using ethernet, but then I would lose the spot for my HDD. If only the Extreme had AirTunes.