Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trek1500, Aug 4, 2008.

1. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

I've been considering getting an Airport Express after hearing so much about it..I currently have a Linksys router that I've had for years..it's 802.11 G and seems to work pretty well and I'm reluctant to change but have been intrigued by the power of 802.11 N. Sometimes...especially with my Ipod Touch I notice that when I'm in certain parts of my house I can't seem to pick up the WiFi signal..with my laptops I don't seem to have this problem but for the Touch it seems like it's like that a lot so I thought with the 802.11 N and it's wider range that it might be a better for devices like that. My question is if I have 802.11 G on several PCs in the house will that slow down the WiFi? I just got a MBP and I know that it will work well with 802.11 N but having the others in the network...would that pose to be a problem? Some kid at the Apple store said that 802.11 G machines would slow the Express down but I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about..I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb questions but before I plunk $100 down I want to make sure that I'm going to get my money's worth..

2. NSNick macrumors regular

Having a G and an N network would slow down traffic running between the computers on the G and computers on the N.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

WiFi Routers slow down to the speed of the slowest connected device. Also, you will only get the expanded range on Draft N systems. Nothing but the MBP would get the benefit, but in reality, it wouldn't help things, since your Internet Connection affects your speed more. Heck, in most places, they just made internet connections that were faster than 802.11b available. So the only advantage would be to access things within your home.

To fix your range issues, I would suggest trying to find a more central location for your router. Or, buying two (or more) AirPort Expresses (The G level ones would be cheapest) to build a WDS network, where one is the source of your signal and the other grabs that signal and rebroadcasts it to extend your range... Just an idea.

And for reference, My Parents house and property is completely covered by 3 AirPort Expresses, and it is about 100'X100'.

TEG

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Like many have said, its really pointless to use the Airport if your MBP is the only N device. Another suggestion to improve the range of your Linksys is to purchase and install Linksys Wireless Extender stations, which acts like a bridge to extend your station signals.