Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a wireless solution for my printer and external hard drive! Would an airport express be suitable with say a four port USB hub? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a wireless solution for my printer and external hard drive! Would an airport express be suitable with say a four port USB hub? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Airport Express has four USB port? Maybe you should look at it carefully...I don't think the express has that many port it only has one usb, one ethernet port, and one audio minijack

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Airport Express has four USB port? Maybe you should look at it carefully...I don't think the express has that many port it only has one usb, one ethernet port, and one audio minijack

Sorry you have misread my comment, I meant hooked up to a four port usb hub. So Airport express > USB Hub > External Hard Drive & Printer

Hope this clears it up..

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Sorry you have misread my comment, I meant hooked up to a four port usb hub. So Airport express > USB Hub > External Hard Drive & Printer

Hope this clears it up..

Oh ok. That explains it all..try an airport extreme the airport express doesn't support the hard drive.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I too am looking at getting an AE. I have some questions, however. Any help would be much appreciated.

Is it possible to use AE as a regular base station? Just connect it directly to cable modem and broadcast wireless? No network extension or any of that jazz.

This AE would be for my parents, who have a mixed PC/Mac household. Will AE work well with both Vista and Tiger/Leopard? More importantly, does AE configuration software (Airport Utility) exist for Vista?

Can AE broadcast mixed N/G? All the household computers are G-equipped, but my laptop is N-equipped and it would be nice to use N when I visit.

How is the range of AE? Will 802.11G, say, broadcast well to a computer ~10-20 meters (~30-60 ft) away and through wooden floors/dry wall?

Thanks in advance for any help.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
1. Yes, I run it direct to a cable modem.

2. Yes, works well with Tiger, Leopard, and there is a Windows version of the AE utility.

3. No. Pick N or G, can't have both.

4. Well, before, my Airport Express was downstairs and I could not get good reception to my room with N enabled. Switching it to G increased the range. Don't expect it to stretch for an awesome distance.

Another note too, unplug your cable modem for about a minute before you attempt to install the Airport Express, this will save you a lot of headaches in trying to get it set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.