AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by acron1, Jan 7, 2009.

1. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

Hi all,
    I replaced my early 2008 MBP with a late 2008 MB last month and I couldn't be happier. I am contemplating getting the AirPort Express base station and I have a couple of questions, see below:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc0OQ

For one thing, will I notice a big difference surfing the net over wireless g?
    And second, can I use the USB port on the AirPort Express for a network USB drive or is it only for Time Machine?
    Thanks for your time.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) The speed will depend on your internet connection, but wireless 'n' is 2x faster than wireless 'g' and it has about double the range, but inside i think its more like 1.5x the range personally.

2) The USB port can be used for any external hard drive, network drive, printer, almost any normal USB device you could imagine.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can only use the USB port on the airport express for sharing printers.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

For browsing the Internet, wireless N won't have a significant performance increase over G due to the fact that most ISPs don't offer speeds that would come close to exceeding 52 Mbps (wireless G speeds). Where you WILL notice the difference is transferring files between wireless N enabled computers/devices on your network.

Also, as stated previously, the Express can only share USB printers. Even on the Extreme and Time Capsule, the USB drive can only be used for storage or printing, and won't support other USB devices.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

although it is a fairly limited use, there is a usb remote that you can plug into an express to remotely control your iTunes. http://www.keyspan.com/products/urm17a/
    but other than that, the express will only let you print, and only print, if you hook a printer/scanner up to it, you won't be able to scan.

and with even a solid G signal, you shouldn't notice a decrease in internet speed from a wired connection. (stuff completely within your network such a file transfers is a different story though) So N is no problem.

6. acron1 thread starter macrumors regular

acron1

I am sorry but there seems to be conflicting information on this, can I use the USB port to connect a USB network drive not to be used by Time Machine?:confused:

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I think you may be confusing the AirPort Express and the AirPort Extreme Base Station. The AEBS, which is a router, does support connection of USB hard drives.

8. acron1 thread starter macrumors regular

acron1

Thank you for your quick response. I think you may have gotten me unconfused. So I need the AEBS in order to connect a USB network drive is that right?:rolleyes:

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

express
    -printer
    -air tunes - remote speakers for iTunes, has an audio jack on the unit.
    -the remote i mentioned earlier

extreme
    -printer
    -hard drive

You can connect multiple supported devices using a USB hub, so if you wanted a printer and a drive you could do that. Multiple drives work, i believe multiple printers will as well.