Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bt22, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I currently have a previous generation of the Airport Extreme. I would like to know if I could buy an Airport Express and setup a system that would work similar to the new generation Airport Extreme. I have some devices that run on "G" and some that run on "N". What I would like to do is Setup the Airport Extreme to run my N network and setup the Express to run my G network. If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You'll be fine, I have an Express, running my 360, iPhone, several flatmates laptops (all on G), then mine and my friends Macs (on N) at the same time, you'll be fine. It does actually state this on Apples Airport Express site.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...there were some other posts about doing that but the airport express is a bit expensive to use as a "G" device... can't you do that with another brand device for less?

I was fortunate enough to have bought my "old version AEBS 7 days before the new model was announced and returned it as it was still not opened (killer week at work), yesterday I just got my new Sim dual band and will set it up tonight:p

4. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will look at other options on the router. Can anyone give me pointers on how to set everything up. I have my ethernet from my modem going into my Airport Extreme. Then would I ethernet out of my Airport Extreme to the G router. What settings do I have to change in my Extreme if any. I thought I read how to do this on this site but can't find anything. Do I have to set my Extreme into a Bridge Mode..? Or once I connect the G router do I just setup my G devices on the G and the N on the N...? Thanks for all the replies.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just remember to setup one of the routers up in bridge mode.

If you run them both in router mode, you'll wind up with two totally separate subnets were devices can get to the Internet, but devices won't be able to talk to devices on the other subnet.

At my place, I gave each wireless network a slightly different name, but I've read posts on here where people use the same wireless network name on both routers. I went with the different names so I could force a 'n' device to join the 'b/g' network if I wanted to, and I could never get that to work when both routers used the same network name.

The whole thing is pretty easy to do, but might take a little bit of goofing around before you wind up with the configuration you like.

But like J&JPolangin mentioned, you can pick up a cheapo Linksys for your 'b/g' network. If you can't figure out how to put that guy in bridge mode, then run it as the router, and use the Extreme in bridge mode for your 'n' network.

6. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Simultaneious Dual Band Support

You don't need two seperate routers if you have an extreme:

"Some Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4GHz wireless band, including iPhone, iPod touch, and devices using 802.11b/g. Other devices can use either 2.4GHz or the higher-speed 5GHz band, such as the latest 802.11n-based Mac computers and Apple TV. Instead of choosing one of the bands, AirPort Extreme now operates simultaneously on both bands, and your multiband devices automatically use the best available band. This means all your Wi-Fi devices get the fastest possible wireless performance and the best possible range."

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unfortunately, he has the previous generation that doesn't support the dual-band network.

8. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Oops

I didn't notice that sorry. However apple products generally hold their value well enough that the amount he'd get if he sold his current one minus the cost of a new one would yield an out of pocket that would be cheaper than buying a new airport express or maybe even a used one.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...at the apple refurb store they are going for $135 for the previous gen AEBS...

I almost broke down and got one to do a network with my Linksys 54GS router but the new models finally arrived at the on-base PX...