Airport Express

percyg23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hello all, this may be a stupid question but im going to ask anyway. I have an airport extreme that was connected via ethernet cable to my mac mini 1.83gig, (the one that doesnt have wirless), well I bought an 21.5in iMac (yay!!) and put the mini in my daughters room upstairs from the extreme. I dont want to buy 100ft of cat6 cable to run from downstairs to upstairs. I bought a wireless adapter from afterthemac but the thing doesnt stay connected and the software is buggy. Can I buy a refurbed express from the apple sight and connect it via ethernet cable directly to the mini? Or should I just run the cat6 ethernet cable? I would like to keep the speed as fast as possible for my daughter, thanks for reading. :D

percyg23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
? answered

sorry I got an answer from apple, I dont know how to remove the thread so please disregard, thanks.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
No need to remove the thread but yes that can be done. My main router is an extreme and I use the express to print wirelessly/use AirTunes/extend my wifi/play on xbox live (why buy the stupid microsoft dongle when you can just get an express).

I just move it around to wherever I need it since it's so portable.

percyg23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
thats cool, i will use it for my xbox 360 as well then, I called apple right before i purchased it. it looks like my range will be increased a lot. glad i bought it, also glad i finally moved to mac!! thanks again.

Arrandale

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Hello all, this may be a stupid question but im going to ask anyway. I have an airport extreme that was connected via ethernet cable to my mac mini 1.83gig, (the one that doesnt have wirless), well I bought an 21.5in iMac (yay!!) and put the mini in my daughters room upstairs from the extreme. I dont want to buy 100ft of cat6 cable to run from downstairs to upstairs. I bought a wireless adapter from afterthemac but the thing doesnt stay connected and the software is buggy. Can I buy a refurbed express from the apple sight and connect it via ethernet cable directly to the mini? Or should I just run the cat6 ethernet cable? I would like to keep the speed as fast as possible for my daughter, thanks for reading. :D
that is technically possible.

what solution did :apple: offer?