AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by o.neill.kid, Aug 15, 2010.

1. o.neill.kid macrumors member

Hi sorry. I know this is probably an easy question but I am new to all of this. I currently have my whole house wired. I currently use 2 iPhones and a few laptops (Windows) in the house, I will be buying an iPad next week and was just wondering. Is the AirPort Express basically a router? So when I set it up I will then have a wireless connection and be able to use it with my iPhones, Laptop(s), and my iPad?

If that is the way it is, what are the pros and cons to this device?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It is but it is a very limited device in terms of range and expandability. When you say your whole house is wired, is that ethernet to a wired router/modem?

3. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Yea, Cable > Router > Cat5 around whole house. I just want enough range to reach my first floor, which is not very big as it is a PNQ A frame house. If you don't think it is good enough for that. What other router would you recommend that is N? I would like it to be under $120.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It should be fine for that purpose. I find its usable limit to be about 40ft-50ft indoors, depending on floors/walls.

5. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks. Is it possible that its good enough for what I need, but down the road I get another wireless router? Would it be possible to use it as an extender?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Absolutely. I have two expresses that I use to extend and for Airtunes. It also makes a nice travel router in case the hotel has no WiFi.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

to extend via wireless, all of the base stations must be apple (it might be possible to do with some others, but you need to know what you're doing)
    by extend wireless i mean
    Code:
    base station 1 [COLOR="Blue"]--wireless-->[/COLOR] base station 2 [COLOR="Blue"]--wireless-->[/COLOR] computer.

also with this setup, base station 2 is using half of it's bandwidth to talk to the computer and the other half to station 1, so your speed will drop in half.

-----

since it sounds like your home is already wired, You'll want to use the express as a wireless bridge,
    so
    Code:
    Main router
    [COLOR="Red"]|||[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]||+-wired-->[/COLOR] Computer 1
    [COLOR="Red"]||[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]|+-wired-->[/COLOR] Express 1 [COLOR="Blue"]--wireless-->[/COLOR] computer 2
    [COLOR="Red"]|[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]+-wired-->[/COLOR] Express 2 [COLOR="Blue"]--wireless-->[/COLOR] computer 3
    which means your main router will handle all of the network basics (passing out IPs, firewall, etc...) and the express will just "bridge" the wired and wireless parts of the network. the express works like a basic network switch, except some of it's connections are wireless.

set up in this way, computers 1, 2 & 3 are all on the same network. This is helpful for things like apple's remote app where you want your iphone to be able to see your laptop.

also with this setup, if you decide that you need more coverage in another area, like the second floor, you can get a second express, set it up exactly the same, but a different channel, and your devices will switch to the stronger/closer base automatically without you even knowing. also in this way, you don't see the drop in bandwidth that comes from wirelessly extending. plus devices on the different floors are using separate available bandwidth.

*computer in the drawings also means iphone or ipad

8. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

The express will work great for what you are saying you need.....up to the main level of your house.

I found that it works well as an extender for the Airport Extreme but did not work with my Linksys router as an extender (I suppose it might but any online instructions I found were VERY complicated)

Setting it up as an extender for your APExtreme was simple enough to do (especially once I called Apple Support for help and I had missed a simple step)

I recommend it.