Airport Exreme doesn't support Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deetle, Jul 20, 2007.

1. deetle macrumors member

I have been dealing with apple support for about 2 weeks with in issue on my AirPort Extreme (802.11n) where the base station reboots when any one of my 2 Vista laptops connect to the wireless network . It reboots with in about 3 minutes on the first conect , and then it works for 15+ minutes when it comes back , and then it reboots again. I can not have my Vista PC conected to this basetaion with out it rebooting every 30 minutes. The tech suport guys all where very profjsneal and wanted to escolate this issue. But today he called me and told me that the workd from engenering is that this base station doesn't support Vista so they will not look into it. My macs have no iussue connecting to it.

Supporitng somthing and crahsing are in my mind very differant. I think they need to remove the Works with PC + MAC logo on the front of the box.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

My roommate has problems with the new Extreme giving his Dell laptop running VISTA a DHCP address.

He slicked it back to XP and it works fine.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I've got vista ultimate installed through bootcamp on my macbook. Connects to my airport extreme without issue.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's odd that the OS should be able to bring the router down....

Not that I want to argue with the engineers, but can you elaborate?

- Are the Vista notebooks connecting via N or G? If N, what happens if they use G?

- What security (SSID hidden, MAC filter, WEP/WPA/WPA2)?

- Are any devices not allowing DHCP to assign IP address?

- Is IPv6 turned on or off in Vista? Is it possible to turn IPv6 off in Vista? Can you try it?

I'm curious about whether any of these specifics are related to why they aren't working and whether there might be a workaround?

5. deetle thread starter macrumors member

The NIC on Vista defaults to A + B + G compatiable mode. I configered the NIC on Vista to

B + G
    B Only
    G Only.

SIID is not hiden , and I tried it with both WPA/WPA2 and no securety at all.

The Vista system are geting an IP address. I can watch them concect in the base station log

The below are the last entries in the base station log I then opem IE and boom.

Jul 15 18:26:03 Severity:5 Connection accepted from fe80::217:f2ff:fe53:5526%bridge0/54011.
    Jul 15 18:28:27 Severity:5 Associated with station 00:1b:77:11:49:14
    Jul 15 18:28:27 Severity:5 Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant 00:1b:77:11:49:14

6. deetle thread starter macrumors member

Both laptops one from HP and the other from Lenovo do have the same NIC.
    an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.

I gave them this info , but their responce was still Vista not supported.

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Dang

I just ordered my AEBS-n today from the refurb page. I can't imagine that this is a universal problem. But then again, if the router stays up 100% of the time when Vista clients are not connected, then it would sure point to Vista. I'm curious to hear how this one works out!

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd really want to challenge them on that statement.

The only place I see where they mention XP is for Setup/Admin and the AirDisk.

For "wireless client access" (which I assume your Vista machine is doing), they only specify: PC with 802.11a/b/g/n

They don't list OS there.

I'd escalate the call to someone higher. It's not like you don't have a Mac in the house that you can use to Setup/Admin the damn router with. :(

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, back to IPv6... is it possible to turn it off in Vista?