Airport Exteme to the max

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steve217, Apr 5, 2012.

1. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

As my daughters friends drop over to celebrate her sixteenth birthday, I am holed up in the upstairs bonus room watching the DHCP table begin to fill on my Airport Extreme.

What with all the kids iThings, my collection of laptops, desktops, printers, AppleTV's, Xbox, Playstation plus the virtual machines I'll launch in network bridge mode, I am curious, has anyone hit the 50 device limit on their Airport Extreme Timecapsule? I'm right around 20 devices at this moment.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've gotten up to 123 devices at once on one 4th gen device. Didn't slow down too much and it worked just fine.

3. steve217 thread starter macrumors regular

steve217

123? Then what's this mean?:
    "Up to 50 people can all share the same Internet connection, exchange files using the file-sharing capability built into OS X or Windows,..."

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't know. Maybe it's an artificial limitation Apple put into type. I do know that the older UFO shaped ones had that 50 person limitation. Maybe Apple never updated their specs.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It is apple being conservative with their performance specs.

likely 50 people can run multiple applications at the same time all chewing bandwidth and the cpu in the airport will keep up.

if you have a bunch of people/devices doing nothing or very little, you could probably connect thousands of devices to it.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

You would run out of dhcp tables.

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Ahh right you are. Forgot the UI in the airport utility won't let you change subnet mask.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You know what it means to exaggerate for effect right?

Okay so you would "only" be able to run 255 devices....

9. hafr macrumors 68030

They also say you literally can't use an external hard drive connected to an AEBS for Time Machine backups, yet I and a lot of other people are doing it...

The thing with Apple is that they never say "we don't support it, but it's possible", but rather "it can't be done". That way, they can't be blamed for if something they don't support goes to hell and having to explain that "no, we said that it can be done, but we also said that we don't support it". It's easier to just say it can't be done and then shrug your shoulders to anyone complaining.

10. steve217 thread starter macrumors regular

steve217

Well, now I'm curious .. have any of you Airport Express users bumped up against a 10 device/user limit, or any kind of limit for that matter?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have an N Express. It's seen up to 12 people at once on it. Things started getting a little slow with the wireless throughput. My guess, it only has one antenna to use where the Extreme has three. The less powerful CPU probably has something to do with it as well.

12. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

for not supporting it their advertising is certainly suggestive
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/harddrivesharing.html (look at pic w/ airdisk hard drive)

13. hafr macrumors 68030