Airport/External HD/Printer-plz help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wall13, Sep 25, 2007.

1. wall13 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro, with the older style snowdrop airport extreme. I also have a laser printer plugged into the USB port. I desperately need to have an external hard drive, but need it to be wireless also. does anyone know if i can use the spare ethernet port (which is normally used to connect my laptop to the basestation)? or can i also try splitting the USB port with a splitter to allow me to have the printer and hard drive off one port.

I think there are problems with the USB port as i am only allowed to use a printer here? am i right?

You help is much appreciated as im desperate to get a hard drive attached wirelessly, but cannot afford any new style basestations.

kind regards
    :)

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

not sure about those airport stations but I think the new airport extremes do have a USB uplink that is also able to be split to a hard drive and printer.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The UFO airport only supports 1 printer off the USB port. No hard drive support. You'd need the new Airport for wireless hard drive. There are refurbs of the 10/100 Ethernet version on the Apple site for $139.

4. wall13 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK-so the USB port is out of action... is the spare ethernet lead that is normally used to manually connect my laptop to the base station usable for an external hard drive?:)

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I can confirm that will work with the Airport Extreme N. I have a USB hub hanging off it with both a drive and a printer attached.