AirPort Extreeme + ext USB hardrive = timemachine backup ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jespervang, Jul 23, 2014.

1. jespervang macrumors newbie

jespervang

Hi,

I have a simple question ( I hope ) : If I buy an Airport extreme (or Express for that matter), can I add an external harddrive, that I use as Time machine backup, via the usb port, and will it work as wireless automated time machine backup still ?

Since the Airport extreme only have one usb port, can I add both the external hardrive and a printer, via an usb hub, and get both wireless print, and automated backup ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take a look at this KB article from apple

I believe the non-pancake version of Airport Extreme base station may work, but in other cases it won't.

I'd look to get a TimeCapsule (hard drive built in), or use an external disk connected to the Mac via USB.

3. jespervang thread starter macrumors newbie

jespervang

Thanks for quick reply. This I would probably just plug in the harddrive to the computer. Time capsule is a little expensive, for what you get, so that's why I did not include that in my solution :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes to both as long as you get the new tower shaped model like maflynn mentioned.

I would have agreed with you on the old models that they were overpriced, but the new tower shaped Time Capsule is about the same cost as the Airport Extreme plus a 2TB external drive now. Not a bad deal if wireless backup is your goal.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As mentioned earlier, only the newer tower style Extremes and Time Capsules support USB hard drives as Time Machine volumes. Earlier Extremes and Time Capsules only support USB hard drive support as a volume and not a Time Machine drive. You may use a powered USB hub to hook the printer and hard drive to the USB port on the Extreme. The Express lacks support for USB hard drive sharing all together.

6. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I have the newest Apple Express and I can not connect an external HD to it.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The USB port on the Express is used solely for printer sharing.

8. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

To the first question yes. I have a USB enclosure connected to the Airport Extreme and I use it for Time Machine backups through wireless.

Second not sure, never tried.

9. jespervang thread starter macrumors newbie

jespervang

Thanks for all the answers; one question I may have missed. Can I use a portable external hd, one that is normally powered by the computer, for use as backup via usb -> aiport extreme ?

Thanks

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most likely yes. I have done it but some have issues with it.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

When did this misconception become so widespread? I've been doing Time Machine backups to a USB HDD attached to a 2009 dual-band AirPort Extreme since, well, 2009!

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It's not a misconception. That is not supported by Apple. Some people get it working only to have troubles later and find their data is not there when they need it. Maybe you have just been lucky.

Here is the Apple support doc on this. From the page:

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It was not a supported feature and therefore it is buggy. Some say it works great and others say it requires workarounds. When I have to use workarounds with my backup solution I look for a different solution.

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Although not officially supported, TM backup has yet to fail on me on 4th Gen Extreme (2009) as well.
    I used to have constant problems with AP Extreme 1st and 2nd Gen basestations, since Lion came around.
    Therefore I have the opinion, that 4th Gen firmware (probably also the HW spec) is on par with the TimeCapsule.
    I am using this config purely out of curiosity, I have 2 more instances of my TM backup, should the things really become rough :D

15. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

backup to external hdd works fine via time machine

It's when you try to restore from the networked hdd that often doesn't work

16. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You may be correct. I've never specifically selected the target (out of my 3), just the latest backup, to restore.
    Then again, I could:
    1) verify the backups (always failed with previous AEB-s)
    2) if verify passes, connect the drive to TC or Mini

17. jespervang thread starter macrumors newbie

jespervang

Found this on Apple's support pages
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

"AirPort Extreme 802.11ac & AirPort Extreme 802.11n (1st - 5th Generation)
    A self-powered USB hard drive
    A USB printer
    A USB hub, which may be used to connect several USB hard drives and/or printers"

18. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah, the extreme base stations and Time Capsules support external drives, its the time machine support that gets tricky. All the current generation are TM approved, however.

In previous generations, the Time Capsule firmware dealt with drives much better than the AEBS counterparts, especially multiple ones. For example, when using green type drives, all but one had a tendency to disappear from the network until the AEBS is restarted. Didn't seem to bother a Time Capsule, however.

19. knux11 macrumors regular

I've been using it for years. 3rd gen, 5th gen most recently. never had an issue backing up or restoring, except i usually prevent my mac from sleeping before a restore.