Airport Extreme 1st gen/n-draft .. worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macizcool, Sep 12, 2013.

1. macizcool macrumors member

There are a few A1143/"1st gen", n-draft Airport Extreme routers on Craigslist. I could really use one for my aging network... My original Airport Extremes are constantly needing rebooted. Are there any disadvantages to using the draft-n routers?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. macizcool thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually talking about the regular Airport Extreme, not the express. Although, there is one of those that I'm going to try to talk down to $20.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

It might only support 10/100 Mbit wired connections. I believe the 2nd gen started shipping with gigabit ethernet. You might want to check out the airport extreme wikipedia page and make sure it supports everything you need.

For what it's worth, I still use my old A1143 but only in bridged mode as a secondary wireless access point these days. Everything still works fine. I use a newer netgear router but I still use the extreme so I can get WIFI throughout my entire house.

5. macizcool thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. The wikipedia page says it has gigabit ethernet, thankfully.

Edit: Oh no, I just realized there are 2 versions of the A1143, one that has gigabit ethernet, and the other that does not. Both were released in 2007. That's not good :( I wonder how you tell the difference?

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you have the packing cardboard box, you can check the MA073 or MB053 designation. Or you can check the serial number.
    As a last resort, AirPort Utility will identify the device for you. You just need to connect your computer to be able to use AP Utility.
    The 1gen APX was Fast Ethernet model, from 2gen onwards Gigabit Ethernet.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Forget the 1st gen Extreme, lousy antenna and no simultaneous dual-band. Also power supply issues I seem to recall? Not sure about that.

8. macizcool thread starter macrumors member

Even if it's dirt cheap? I figured it could be used in client mode in the future when I'm able to afford the newest model.

Unfortunately, I need to use 5ghz because there are about 30 routers in range of me in the 2.4ghz band. However, my roommate has an iPhone, so I have to keep a 2.4 network going.

If I had the money for a new Extreme, it would solve every problem I'm having right now :p

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Needing both 5GHz and 2.4GHz rules out the 1st gen N Extreme, it will do one or the other but not both. Get the refurb Express instead, unless you need the built-in Ethernet switch.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have actually purchased 3 AEBS 1 being a 4th gen and 2 5th gen off of ebay for less than $50 each.
    Only one of them had a bad power supply included but it was in the description, I happened to have an external AEBS from a previous model.

I'd sugges at least a 3rd gen model for the Dual Band
    3rd (MB763LL/A - A1301)
    4th (MC340LL/A - A1354)
    5th (MD031LL/A - A1408)

11. macizcool thread starter macrumors member

I have a separate network for 2.4ghz, so having dual band isn't an absolute necessity. At the moment, just having a cheap Airport to get me by would be great, that's why I'm asking about the first gen.

I looked on eBay and the bids keep going too high for me.

12. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

there's a 5th ten going for $39.99 atm
    Here with 11hrs remaining

and another one Here for $4.24

If you want to bid on them I'll remove the links so they aren't as easy for other to find.

Just a tip, just do a search for "Airport 1408" or "Airport other model#" some people on ebay won't post out the entire name, they just look on the box and see a model number and post that.

13. macizcool thread starter macrumors member

So I'm guessing that's a big "no" on buying the first gen :p

mmomega, I'll watch the second auction. The first one will easily go out of my price range. Thanks for the search tips.