Airport Extreme 2010 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by j9z, Aug 16, 2010.

1. j9z macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide whether to buy now or wait. It seems like we're due for an update of the Airport Extreme. When do you guess the next update will come out? And with which features?

Jan 2007: 802.11n - Draft
    Aug 2007: Gigabit Ethernet
    Mar 2008: AirPort Disks (firmware update)
    Mar 2009: Simultaneous dual-band
    Oct 2009: New antennae + 802.11n Final

I've imagined that it might have audio output to match the Airport Express, more security options, maybe some features to compliment the new iTV ?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Security options and features to compliment Apple TV may be more software. If you need one now I'd buy now.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Next one will have 3 stream n, nothing more, IMO.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

This would be nice but I suspect it's not a high priority, as AEBS is less likely to be located right next to your home entertainment system and more likely to be located either in an office or more centrally to distribute wireless.

Not saying it couldn't or shouldn't happen. It's a pit of a PITA if you want a combo of AEx and AEBS features.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

My wishlist:
    • QoS (e.g., VoIP, video streaming, games)
    • Fewer restarts for configuration change
    • Parental control/website filters (e.g., blocking intellitxt, tynt)
    • Support for NTFS (for connecting Windows formatted external hard disk to a hub)
    • MicroCell

6. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Yes, yes, yes, 100x yes. I hate having to restart for the smallest change ever.
    Although, that could easily be resolved by a software update.

@Microcell - I don't think it would have one. They cost quite a bit of money, and are generally fairly bulky, so it would increase the bulk of it by quite a bit.

7. silveradoman01 macrumors member

The only update I would want on it and would get rid of my current extreme for is if they would make it look like a mac mini IE aluminum. All of my apple stuff is now aluminum with black accents. Why does the airport still need to be white?

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Would you prefer white plastic or aluminium with external antennas?

9. pommack macrumors newbie

Aluminium with external antennas for sure!

10. silveradoman01 macrumors member

I dont care how they do it. I would like it to match my aluminum tv stand. Which on it has my mac mini and apple tv. Both in aluminum. and over it on the wall is a 60" tv trimmed in brushed nickel. It bugs me to have that not match.

11. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Except that Aluminium, and other metals, block, or greatly diminish, all internal antennas. That's why Apple has plastic parts on the iPod Touch, and iPad 3G. Also why the Apple Logo is frequently used for antenna positioning.

The only problem is that transmitter antennas (like on the router) require a lot more coverage than receiver antennas (like on your Mac). You can't put an antenna on the Apple logo on the AX/TC. It won't work. If it's aluminium, it will not be as powerful, unless the antenna becomes external, and I don't see Apple doing that since one of these really does not fit with the aesthetics of Apple products.

12. mKizzo macrumors member

6 months later...

I just dropped into 2 stores in Taiwan to pick up an Airport Extreme. Neither had any in stock, and the message was the same in both: supplies are constrained, update imminent.

Is it likely? And if so, what is there really to upgrade on this product?

13. nostra23 macrumors newbie

Hm.. I was in the Munich apple store two days ago and bought mine. Called them before and asked - they said they have sufficient stock - no word about declining stock or update.. also no rumor that I have heard of..

14. mKizzo macrumors member

Interesting... But have there ever really been rumors about AE updates in the past? Not something that many people really care about I guess.

How you getting along with yours anyway?