AirPort Extreme 2013: only 802.11n after sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sasparilla1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. sasparilla1, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

sasparilla1 macrumors newbie

Hello there.

Today i had to discover, that my new AirPort Extreme wich runs normally with ac 1300mbit, after i put my rmbp in sleep and wake it up again changes in 802.11n 2,4ghz mode. After manually reconnecting it goes back to ac speed.

What the hell is wrong with it?? How come noone else seems complaining about that? If thats a Bug why Nobody seem to care? It makes ac-Speeds on this device practically useless.

Did Apple screw the software up on this device too? Anyone can confirm this? Or do i miss sth?

Someone with the exact same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6094712?tstart=0

Thanks !!!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Works just fine here. Try separating the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and setting the rMBP to connect to the 5 GHz.

3. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

i wont separate it, it has to work this way. otherwise i sent it back and buy another router.

any suggestions?

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

And what if the bug is with your rMBP and not the wireless access point?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

Where is the router in relation to your laptop?
    5GHz (what AC uses) is bad about going through things, so if there are a couple walls between you and the router, your mac is connecting to the stronger signal, and everything is working exactly as it's supposed to

there is also a know issue, where macs are slow to connect to wifi on waking from sleep. so the problem could be your mac.

if it's a problem, separate the networks. That's an easy solution, and it's 100% guaranteed to fix your problem. a new router might not fix it.

6. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

the only real benefit of the airport extreme is its "easy" setup and good looks.
    Once again, i won't separate my networks because apple screwed this product up.

Apple has just so bad software qc nowadays, its laughable for a multibillion dollar company.

this is really pathetic. i think ill return it and buy another brand router.

----------

Did you split the network in 2,4ghz and 5 ghz ? Do you have the same issue without splitting them up?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

you didn't answer my question

if the signal is going through walls or you have the router buried in a bookshelf or cabinet. the 5GHz will be weaker.
    Not apple's screw up, It's physics. 5GHz doesn't go through objects as well as 2.4GHz Blame the deity of your choice.

if the 5GHz signal is weaker, then your device will connect to the 2.4 signal since it's stronger.
    also, not apple's screw up. It's how you want things to work, so you consistently get the most reliable signal (not necessarily the fastest) I'd gladly use a slower network, than one that drops out.

if you split the networks, you can tell your device to prefer the 5Ghz signal even if it is weaker.

another router may work, it might not.

8. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i overlooked your question in my rage about this product.
    The router is located 3m away from my rmbp. moving it doesn't help at all. so it shouldn't be related to physics

the strange thing is sometimes it has ac speeds after sleep, but 80% of the time its n at 2,4 ghz.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Excuse me! You come on the forum and ask for help. We use that as a troubleshooting measure to determine the root cause of the problem. And just for the record, most routers separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands automatically.

10. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

i need to know if this is a bug or maybe my airport extreme is defect.

----------

i restored it to factory settings and reconfigured.

same ****.

i think im done with that box.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you running 7.7.3?

12. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i does run the newest software.
    :mad: i love the hardware of the airport extreme but why doesn't it switches wifi modes properly? i wish it would just work
    802.11n at 2,4ghz is the worst possible mode in a situation where the client (which supports ac at 5ghz) is in the same room as the airport.
    why doesn't it switch it to the fastest mode available ? it just doesn't make sense at all.

Does your AE and rmbp behave the same when having 2,4ghz and 5ghz not separated?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't own an rMBP. I do have AC clients around here though. We leave the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks the same and it is fine in my scenario. Is there a reason why you absolutely positively cannot have it separated? Many prefer separating them to offer a clear clean signal that isn't going to play band roulette.

14. sasparilla1, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't want to separate them sorry.
    Airport extreme should be capable of serving ac and n devices at the same time right?
    is it possible my iphone wich is a n device slows down the whole network?

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you turn Wi-Fi back on it instantly drops back to 2.4 on the MacBook?

16. sasparilla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is a way to force it to only use 802.11 AC but it is router wide and would not work in your scenario.