Airport Extreme 5Ghz + Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Verschoren, May 9, 2007.

1. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

Can you make a wireless bridge between an airport extreme in 5hz mode (so: in N-only at the higher frequentie) and a regular airport express?

i've got a home network onsisting of a MB, MBP and iMac, all N draft
    and a PB, iMac all G draft

currently I've got an airpor extreme in N mode at 5ghz for the N draft macs
    and an USR for the G draft devices in wds mode attached with an ethernet cable

I want to replace that USR with an airport extreme and put it in the living room.
    To do that, I need wireless bridging, but WITHOUT turning the extreme back tot 2.5ghz (cause I need the wider signalrange..)

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Are you sure its in WDS mode it sounds like its just running with NAT disabled. But if you just want the express to have a ethernet cable and run its own G network it could do that.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It really doesn't matter because regardless of how you design your home network ANY wireless device that isn't 801.11n will lower the speed of your AEBS.The AEBS always defauts to the slower speed e.g. a/g.

Since this is the case you wont be able to configure the main AEBS at 5Ghz.If you do your network wont work.

I'd just buy another .n AEBS and use it to connect via WDS getting an IP automatically from the main AEBS using DHCP and NAT.

could be wrong tho.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Given that the Airport Express is 802.11g/2.4 GHz only, the answer has to be no.

Get the second Airport Extreme as suggested above, or live with 2.4 GHz.

B