Airport Extreme 5Ghz and PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JordoMacUser, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JordoMacUser macrumors newbie

Hello, I recently purchased an 24 inch iMac 2.8Ghz and Airport Extreme wireless router. I have Time Warner Road Runner cable modem connected to router. After some unsuccesful attempts (mostly because i didn't know what i was doing), i have connected Airport Extreme to iMac and I believe it is using 802.n (by installing software into iMac). within the properties of the Airport Utility, I have it configured to "802.n (only)." My PS3 (playstation 3)does not see the wireless network with this setting as it. When i change Airport to 2.4Ghz, PS3 sees the network.

Is there a solution to get PS3 to see the network with 5GHz?

Additionally, i am very confused on the Sharing Connection setting. It's currently set to "share a public IP." is that correct? when i had it on "Bridge," i was not able to get onto the internet.

thanks

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The PS3 does not have a 5ghz wireless card (or even an 802.11n network card, actually), so the only way it will work is when you set your Airport to broadcast a b/g/n network.

3. JordoMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

make sense. although i thought it had an "N" card which made it work it the first time around, could be wrong and that could have been during my unsuccesful attempts. can you theoretically purchase an 5Ghz N external card and plug it into PS3?

4. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I spent a lot of time in september trying to find a 5 GHz PCI card for my Linux PC, with no luck. Apple seems to often be way out in front for wireless stuff.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Either run your network in mixed b/g/n mode or plug the PS3 in via cat6 cable.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Seconded. I have mine connected with a cat6 cable.

Your PS3 might see a 2.4 GHz N only network, but it won't be able to connect. And it won't see a 5 GHz network at all. Sad to say but PS3 is only b/g capable. Better to connect with an ethernet cable IMO.

7. ZennZero macrumors member

8. JordoMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone, i just plugged PS3 in.. definitely easier that way.

now as far as optimizing the settings for Airport Extreme, are there any little tricks of the trade? 5 Ghz only is set. i have installed the airport software to enable "N" for mac.

i have a basic setup in which my router is acting a router and not a bridge etc etc. i'm thinking my connection is fast, but i can't tell if it's optimized. is there a good website to test connectivity and download speed as i am not really sure what that is..

thanks

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

Just click the picture. Those are my results. I'm on wireless N only 5 GHz with a 5 MBps cable modem connection. So, from the results, I'm downloading at pretty close to the max speeds... I must say I'm impressed haha. Never thought to run this test before...

10. ZennZero macrumors member

Keep in mind that unless you have a REALLY fat pipe, those sorts of test are going to be bottlenecked at your ISP rather than your internal N network. For instance, with my AEBS i can hit near 30mb on those tests, but my internal transfer rate is still higher.

I would recommend you move a large file between computers on your network (something several GB in size) to really get an idea of your throughput. Connection stability is a little trickier to measure accurately, since there are a lot of (sometimes dynamic) environmental effects to control for.

11. katorga macrumors regular

Split for networks

I am in the same boat...legacy gear and Wii have G, while my macs have N.

More seriously, the AEBS does not have an SPI firewall, and has no support for dynamic DNS or decent logging.

So I connected my cable modem to my original D-Link G router and let it handle wireless G, DynDNS, DHCP, firewall and logging duties using its own SSID. I run my AEBS in bridge-mode performing airdisk and wireless N chores. It works perfectly.