AirPort Extreme 6 th

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mitchdeno, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Mitchdeno macrumors newbie

Mitchdeno

I have a question about these routers ,,,
    The top speed I currently have is 10 gbs download and 1 gbs upload ,,,
    And I presently own a AirPort Extreme 5 th generation,, me and wife each have iPad air2 (128 gb)
    If I purchase an AirPort Extreme 6 th generation will it increase speed of my regular iPad browsing ?

I understand that it won't increase the download and upload speed of 10 and 1 ,,
    But for browsing... you guys think it would ?
    Please let me know what you guys think as I'm thinking of purchasing a used one for 100$ ( a.e.6 th )

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's an interesting question.

From an anecdotal point: I moved from a mid level netgear, to an AirPort extreme. Even though my ISP speed has not increased at all, my download speeds have nearly doubled and are now close the to advertised ISP speed we are paying for.

My guess is the additional antennas, which allow for beam forming, and the MIMO antennas in compatible devices allow the speeds to reach closer to their theoreticals.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm guessing you meant 10Mbps/1Mbps speeds?

If that is the case, the AE5 can easily handle that over its 802.1n wifi. However, if you have fringe wifi reception areas in your house, the newer 6th gen. would likely help with that. But if you are getting good wifi reception everywhere now with the 5th gen, I don't see how the new 6th gen with 802.11ac is going to really make things any better.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

That sounds very slow. Either way, for $100 I'd just get it. Things like Airplay and file transfers will be better, and if your Internet speed increases you will be prepared.