Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Anybody know the approximate time frame for when the airport extreme to be updated?

I kinda want to buy the 5th gen one since I heard a lot of good reviews about it, but I get the feeling it will come out within these upcoming months... What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Anybody know the approximate time frame for when the airport extreme to be updated?

I kinda want to buy the 5th gen one since I heard a lot of good reviews about it, but I get the feeling it will come out within these upcoming months... What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

The first thing to happen before they release a new AE is for Mac's to have the ac protocol, I think they will release those first and then in a short time span the new AE, the most recent Mac' have just been updated so my guess it will be another half year or so, but this is just my guess, nobody knows when Apple will start using ac.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
The first thing to happen before they release a new AE is for Mac's to have the ac protocol, I think they will release those first and then in a short time span the new AE, the most recent Mac' have just been updated so my guess it will be another half year or so, but this is just my guess, nobody knows when Apple will start using ac.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/141872/apple-working-to-adopt-802-11ac-5g-gigabit-wifi-this-year

But they did a silent upgrade with the new MBP already... :/

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Silent upgrade to what, not ac.
The link you gave me is a forum, and that one is also old, from January
People want it but that does not mean Apple is releasing new products now.
There are few ac wireless routers on the market now, I read an article somewhere that it will take a few years to take off, read that 2014-15 would be the year it takes over the n protocol.

I still think they will come soon, but probably not as soon as you want them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.