AirPort Extreme (6th Gen)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webpoet73, Nov 3, 2014.

1. webpoet73, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

webpoet73 macrumors regular

I bit the bullet and bought a AE 6th gen. I have had nothing but trouble getting it setup to mimic the old settings and it is not playing nice with my old AEBS and Time Capsule in regards to extending wireless network. Sometimes, they now lose the 5GHz network that I am trying to extend.

It seems to go all awry when I set the 5GHz network to "Automatic". Then, I play hell to get everything back in working order.

Right now, I have it on 149 and finally, it seems stable. I have been trying to get everything working, I have barely been able to see if I am getting a better connection. I checked my wife's Macbook Air (2013) that has AC on and the Tx Rate is 249. My Macbook Air (2012) is not a whole lot better, though I have seen it spike to 108, but been as low as 41. That's about what I was getting with the old router.

In the same room as the router, of course, i get a Tx rate of 300Mbps.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a bit odd. I routinely see 450 Mbps link speeds from my 2012 cMBP to the 6th generation Extreme. Perhaps starting fresh and not restoring a profile would be the best idea.

3. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

On the 2013 Air... In the AirPort Utility app, I see a data rate of 585 Mb/s, but when I option-click the wireless icon in my menu bar, it shows a Tx Rate of 351 Mbps. (ac)

Why the difference?

On the 2012 Air... the Data rate in the AirPort utility app and the wireless menu icon are the same. (n)

On my Air, I copied a 826MB file to a wired iMac in 200 seconds. When I calculated this, it was 6011Mb/200s = 30Mbs. This doesn't seem to be very good. If the data rate is 108Mbps?

I did a fresh profile after the transferred profile didn't take. I am about to try moving the router to a different part of the room, closer to the door...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just out of curiosity, you are using AirPort Utility 6 with this right? Also, those speeds are 240 Mbps transfer.