AirPort Extreme 802.11ac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kenc1103, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Kenc1103 macrumors member

I have a weird problem that connection to 5Ghz network would lose and the only way to get it back is to rename the 5Ghz network name and let it automatically pick channel 132. Is there any way to force channel 132 as 132 is not listed if I set it to manual?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is dependent on the country as different countries have different authorized channels for unlicensed networks.

3. Kenc1103, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

If 132 is being picked when I set it to auto, how come 132 is not listed when I set it to manual? That doesn't make any sense.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In the United States, channel 132 is a DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) channel and cannot be manually selected by the user. I recommend that you use a program like Wi-Fi Explorer or iStumbler to find the least congested channel that is supported with manual selection.

5. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried all channels and only 132 works for me. So there is no work around for me to manually select 132?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Not that I am aware.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OS X has a built in wifi diagnostic tool that will show you the best channel to use. You might give that a run and try the channel it suggests. See here.

8. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

I tried the wireless diagnostics tool and it gave me 2 best wireless channels that were either slow or no browse. I have to stick with automatic and let it pick 132. I hope there is a way to make 132 stay.