Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Airport Extreme (802.11n) Base Station Update 7.1 [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has issued an update including "general fixes, compatibility updates, and security improvements for the AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n." The update will require Airport Utility 5.1, which was included in AirPort Base Station Update 2007-001.

Apple says the update will fix two security issues with the 802.11n Airport Extreme Base Station. One revolves around improper default IPv6 configurations which may expose network services on local machines to remote attackers, while the other corrects an issue where local users may be able to see the filenames of a password protected AirPort Disk without providing a password.

Update: Arstechnica, as well as some forum members, have found that AirPort Disk speeds have seen modest improvements with the update.

Article Link: Airport Extreme (802.11n) Base Station Update 7.1 [Updated]

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Done.

Don't know what to look for specifically, but so far, everything seems fine.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I am actually considering buying one for use in Hong Kong and was wondering if anyone could tell me how well it performs in 802.11b/g through concrete. I am in a 2 story house and my mac mini is diagonally above the DSL connection, but through a fairly thick layer of concrete, as with most of HK.

I was wondering how good the signal is with it as I was thinking I might need a relay base station anyway... although I might try upgrade my mini with a MP airport card to get to 802.11n... but is that even worth it too ?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but most owners are already in this thread.

Comment

rw1979

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm noticing a slightly increased transfer rate between my MBP (with pre-n) and my Airdisk. Somewhere in the region of 0.5-1.0MB/s increase in speed in both directions.

Anyone else notice this?

Comment

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
I'm rather having a difficult time...

I have bought the AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n, replacing my Airport Express. But now I cannot see videos through Flip4mac. If I go to anyone else's wireless signal, I will se them.

To add to my frustration, no one seems to have any clue of what's causing this.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I have bought the AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n, replacing my Airport Express. But now I cannot see videos through Flip4mac. If I go to anyone else's wireless signal, I will se them.

To add to my frustration, no one seems to have any clue of what's causing this.

Did you have this problem before the update, and still have it after ? Or is it only since the update that you've had it ?

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Uhh, where do you actually get this update? The summary doesn't say, and it's not in Software Update.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Uhh, where do you actually get this update? The summary doesn't say, and it's not in Software Update.

I believe it's only in SU if you have the latest version of the admin utility installed on your computer in the first place, wont show up otherwise. Or so I am led to believe.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe it's only in SU if you have the latest version of the admin utility installed on your computer in the first place, wont show up otherwise. Or so I am led to believe.

Yeah, I remember that one showing up a couple of weeks ago, and I installed it.

Comment

ryano

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
The update didnt show up in 'software update', but when I opened up the airport utility to see what version I had, it notified me that a firmware update was available for the AirPort Ext.

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
One of my Airports took the firmware update no problem, but the other (the main router) keeps crashing at 49% installed. ARGH!!!

Comment

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Ars Technica found some minor improvements in AirDisk:

"So read speed went from 5.62 to 6.88MB per second (a 22 percent improvement) and write speed from 4.33 to 4.52MB per second (4 percent better)."

(http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...releases-802-11n-base-station-firmware-update)
Thanks for the link to that article. :)

The last line of the review puzzles me though:
Update: it looks like the base station will now put the USB drive to sleep after a while when there are no users connected to it.
I thought mine did that from the day I bought it. It kept them spun-up if anyone was connected, but spun them down if nobody was connected.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Update: it looks like the base station will now put the USB drive to sleep after a while when there are no users connected to it.

Woohoo! Now I can finally leave everything switched on without the drive keeping me awake at night :)

Comment

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Streaming movies from the usb disk

DVD quality is max 6MB per second , so in theory you should be able to play a video ts folder from the airport disk now ;-).

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Printer behaves better

Hey, I haven't had time to reconnect my hard drive to see if that is really better.

But, I have noticed that my printer (HP deskjet 5550c) is behaving better. The best thing of all is that the printer used to turn itself off if there was not print activity for a little-while. It still does that, and that's fine. Except now I don't have to walk over and turn it on; The Airport Extreme (n) turns it on and just starts printing !!!
This is VERY exciting to me, I've been waiting for this for a while.:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.