AirPort Extreme 802.11n* Enabler for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reflow, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

As anyone tried to install the 802.11n* Enabler for Mac on a PPC? I really makes no sense that to get N speed you have to upgrade to a new machine. I was just wandering if there is something I can buy to get N on my PB 1.5 or I'm I stuck with B/G.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, you cant use it. The computers that it works with have the hardware capability, but Apple wanted $1.99 to be able to use the Airport Extreme card to its fullest potential. It's still a lack of proper hardware for you.

Basically, the earlier computers had the 802.11n cards inside, but you had to pay for the enabler to allow connections to 802.11n networks. It is only with Intel computers.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Looks like your stuck with 802.11G for now. I believe the enabler was for the Intel Core 2 Duo.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

There is n-usb card for older Macs but it's not $1.99

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

uh yeah. I dont think they had today's technology 3 or so years ago. :rolleyes: There are no N patches for yesteryear's router are there?
    :D

its a hardware limitation. But there are ways...

6. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yeah ok but they use the same airport extreme card. I just don't know you they don't have a N patch for the older machines out there. My machine is still under AC until 09 and I really have no reason to jump on the Intel ban wagon. Oh well

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

They don't use the same card. They're just both called Airport Extreme. The older ones supported 802.11g while the newer ones also support 802.11n. They just upgraded it instead of renaming it.

8. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I haven't heard many people mention this, but if you have an N card and Leopard, 802.11 N is already activated. Check out network utility in applications > utilities..

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

One more thing: the reason for the 1.99 upgrade fee was put in place for legal purposes. I don't remember the specifics but apple is just doing it to cover themselves legally, not to make any actual money off of it.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's also available on most of their recent computers. At the time of Leopard's launch, all of their computers had 802.11n enabled in 10.4 as well except for the mac minis. And they still can't get 802.11n.

11. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

So what will happen if I buy an newer airport extreme card and put it in my PB. Do you guys think it will work?

12. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

It should, assuming that you have Tiger and the N enabler installed (which comes with the N card) or you are running Leopard.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It won't be as easy as you think.

When switching to the new airport cards, Apple added a third antenna. There is this solution, but that's for a MacBook, not Powerbook.

14. Dino1956 macrumors member

So the Enabler should work with my Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 ?
    I check in Network Utility & I don't have "N".
    I'm getting a Time Capsule & supposedly the Enabler is on the CD in the box.