Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You can easily add devices to the AEBS network later. You don't need to do anything at the AEBS to install a wireless network printer. A USB connected to the AEBS needs to be added via the Airport Utility app.

If the wireless printer requires WPS it must be added through the utility.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My ISP told me to not connect anything to the cable modem, reboot it, wait until things settle, maybe 5 minutes, connect the external router (AE) and turn on the router. But I dunno if it makes a difference.

I don't see how it would matter either way. The idea is to reboot the modem at some point after the old router is gone so the modem finds the MAC address of the new router.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
802.11ac means faster transfer between devices, but only if all of your devices where you live support the ac protocol. 802.11ac doesn't mean anything in terms of speeding up your internet. There are very few internet users out there that will come anywhere near maxing out an 802.11n router.

802.11ac at this point is a convenience thing if you have compatible devices that are 802.11ac compatible and want to transfer large files between them, nothing more nothing less for the home user.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I don't see how it would matter either way. The idea is to reboot the modem at some point after the old router is gone so the modem finds the MAC address of the new router.

Dunno, but the last Comcrap ISP cable connection we did a year ago, where we replaced the router with another, we couldn't get to work completely until we started over and went step by step per the the ISP's procedure. Perhaps just a comcast thing, and its been a year... or we were just unlucky.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I just got the AE Extreme yesterday and plan on set it up to replace Belkin G router. After reading the setup instructions, I have the following setup questions:

(1) the instructions stated that as a first step, connect all my devices to the AE before setup. Is that right? As of now, I have yet to get a WiFi printer.
(2) use wired or wireless to setup?
(3) use iMac or iPad Air?
(4) if iMac, use wired or wireless? and
(5) what info to ask for from my ISP or need to call ISP? my ISP is Cox.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the delay, several meetings interspersed with college football viewings today. I agree with Weaselboy's earlier comments, and have more to add on the printers. I have two wireless printers - one laser and one inkjet, and my small office has 2 laser and one inkjet - and I'll offer that anytime we print over wifi, its...........sooooo.................slow........

It's not practical for everyone, but we have a Mini hooked up to a USB hub - the Mini is our print server, and each of our printers also have USB and SD card slots (common nowadays), and for more than a page or two it's quicker to get up off my butt and print from the Mini or one of the ports than over wifi. Any print job that's a bit "dense" (from AutoCAD, PS or Illustrator, or Word) can saturate the wifi connection or choke the printer. The only wifi printing we do now is Airprint from one of our iPads.

Enjoy your new Extreme AC! Oh, and check for firmware updates!

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Sorry for the delay, several meetings interspersed with college football viewings today. I agree with Weaselboy's earlier comments, and have more to add on the printers. I have two wireless printers - one laser and one inkjet, and my small office has 2 laser and one inkjet - and I'll offer that anytime we print over wifi, its...........sooooo.................slow........

It's not practical for everyone, but we have a Mini hooked up to a USB hub - the Mini is our print server, and each of our printers also have USB and SD card slots (common nowadays), and for more than a page or two it's quicker to get up off my butt and print from the Mini or one of the ports than over wifi. Any print job that's a bit "dense" (from AutoCAD, PS or Illustrator, or Word) can saturate the wifi connection or choke the printer. The only wifi printing we do now is Airprint from one of our iPads.

Enjoy your new Extreme AC! Oh, and check for firmware updates!

Just to let you know that it was an easy procedure to set up the new Extreme and it only took me about 5 minutes to complete the setup. It was fast like you said and I will for sure enjoy the Extreme. Thanks you guys. By the way, to update firmware, do I use Airport Utility?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
By the way, to update firmware, do I use Airport Utility?
Yes, when you're connected to the AE (wifi or ethernet, it doesn't matter), launch the Utility, and you'll see a red number if there's an issue (when the status light on the AE blinks yellow) or if there's an update to the firmware on the AE - what to do is easy, just follow the instructions... :cool:

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Yes, when you're connected to the AE (wifi or ethernet, it doesn't matter), launch the Utility, and you'll see a red number if there's an issue (when the status light on the AE blinks yellow) or if there's an update to the firmware on the AE - what to do is easy, just follow the instructions... :cool:

Speaking of using Airport Utility, I can only use iPad to manage the network due to the fact that it was the iPad I used to set up the Extreme. When I try to use Airport Utility on iMac, it only shows that there are no configured base stations, i.e. no Extreme. I should have used iMac to set up in the first place. The thing is it easier at least for me, to use Airport Utility on iMac to manage the network. Any way to do that without doing the setup all over again using iMac? Thanks again!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Speaking of using Airport Utility, I can only use iPad to manage the network due to the fact that it was the iPad I used to set up the Extreme. When I try to use Airport Utility on iMac, it only shows that there are no configured base stations, i.e. no Extreme. I should have used iMac to set up in the first place. The thing is it easier at least for me, to use Airport Utility on iMac to manage the network. Any way to do that without doing the setup all over again using iMac? Thanks again!

If you launch Airport Util on the Mac it should see the Extreme if you are on the same network. Do you have the latest version of Airport Utility?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Is the iMac on the same network and through what means is it connected to the AirPort (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, etc.)?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014

Hey, we're here to help, so get over it already! :)

Two more tidbits. On your iMac, click on the W-Fi icon in your Menu Bar, and select the network you set up - it could be that simple. If you don't see your network's name right away, allow you iMac a few seconds (you'll see the "Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks..." at the top) and you may see the network you created. If/when you do, click on that network and you should be good to go.

And as a secondary measure, on your iMac, open the Airport Utility app. Iff (that's "if and only if") you've found your network and selected it in the first tip above, you'll see your AE. If you haven't selected your network as described above, in Airport Utility, click the "Other Wi-Fi Devices" button in the upper left corner - and the pull-down menu may show your AE.

Keep in mind that your AE has three possible networks - that's what mine has - the 2.4GHz network, the 5GHz network (if you've enabled it), and a Guest network (if you've enabled it). You need to have your iMac on the same network for the Airport Utility app to "see" the AE (and, of course, utilize your network) - as your iPad apparently is. I use an iPad Air to tweak my network from time to time as well.

In the Network System Preference, you may have only the previous wireless router (System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Preferred Networks) - your iMac could be looking for the wifi router that you used to have and it's not available. Using the first tip above (to use the Wi-Fi Menu Bar widget) to select your new AE could be your "doh" moment of the day. :D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Keep in mind that your AE has three possible networks - that's what mine has - the 2.4GHz network, the 5GHz network (if you've enabled it), and a Guest network (if you've enabled it). You need to have your iMac on the same network for the Airport Utility app to "see" the AE (and, of course, utilize your network) - as your iPad apparently is. I use an iPad Air to tweak my network from time to time as well.

Just want to note that administration can be done via the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network but cannot be done through the "Guest Network".

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
If you launch Airport Util on the Mac it should see the Extreme if you are on the same network. Do you have the latest version of Airport Utility?

No, I only see the internet with green light but not the Extreme. Airport Utility on the Mac version 6.3.2 Both iMac and iPad are on the same network.

When I open the Utility on the iPad (under iOS 8.0), I see both internet and Extreme with green lights

----------

Is the iMac on the same network and through what means is it connected to the AirPort (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, etc.)?

Yes, the iMac and the Extreme are on the same network (actually the network has both 2.4 and 5 GHz , Guest network is not used). Both are connected to the internet through Wi-Fi)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No, I only see the internet with green light but not the Extreme. Airport Utility on the Mac version 6.3.2 Both iMac and iPad are on the same network.

When I open the Utility on the iPad (under iOS 8.0), I see both internet and Extreme with green lights

----------

Yes, the iMac and the Extreme are on the same network (actually the network has both 2.4 and 5 GHz , Guest network is not used). Both are connected to the internet through Wi-Fi)

Try going to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Network --> Select "Wi-Fi" on Sidebar --> Advanced --> TCP/IP --> "Configure IPv6". Set it to either Automatically or Link-Local Only.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013

Two more tidbits. On your iMac, click on the W-Fi icon in your Menu Bar, and select the network you set up - it could be that simple. If you don't see your network's name right away, allow you iMac a few seconds (you'll see the "Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks..." at the top) and you may see the network you created. If/when you do, click on that network and you should be good to go

And as a secondary measure, on your iMac, open the Airport Utility app. Iff (that's "if and only if") you've found your network and selected it in the first tip above, you'll see your AE. If you haven't selected your network as described above, in Airport Utility, click the "Other Wi-Fi Devices" button in the upper left corner - and the pull-down menu may show your AE.

In the Network System Preference, you may have only the previous wireless router (System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Preferred Networks) - your iMac could be looking for the wifi router that you used to have and it's not available. Using the first tip above (to use the Wi-Fi Menu Bar widget) to select your new AE could be your "doh" moment of the day. :D

I have followed you steps and found the one and only one newly created network created network (by iPad). My old Belkin network was on the preferred list but deleted. Open Airport Utility on my iPad, under Network it shows that there are two wireless clients (iMac and iPad). Also there are two networks (5 GHz and 2.4 GHz with guest network not enabled.)

Open Airport Utility on the iMac, only information are internet with solid green light.

----------

Try going to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Network --> Select "Wi-Fi" on Sidebar --> Advanced --> TCP/IP --> "Configure IPv6". Set it to either Automatically or Link-Local Only.

Follow your suggestion, finally it works now that I can see the the Extreme when I open the Utility on my iMac. Thanks you guys.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I currently have the 802.11n AE router. I get decent performance most of the time, but it stalls every now and then on certain sites.

Come Friday, I will have 2 devices that are AC compatible. For an 850 square foot apartment, is the upgrade to a AC router worth it?

I'd follow the advice of the previous posters. I would also suggest checking for interference and try switching channels.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
No problem! Glad that it worked! The newer version of AirPort Utility uses IPv6 to manage base stations and some have that disabled.
The IPv6 configure setting was set to Automatically yesterday, but it was changed back to Off this morning. I have to change back. Is that normal? If not, how do I solve the problem? The fact that DHCP lease is set for i day has anything to with this problem?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The IPv6 configure setting was set to Automatically yesterday, but it was changed back to Off this morning. I have to change back. Is that normal? If not, how do I solve the problem? The fact that DHCP lease is set for i day has anything to with this problem?

Airport Utility doesn't have an "Off" setting. If you've set the Utility to Automatic it's picking up network settings and adjusting them as necessary. You're modem and/or ISP may not be IPv6 ready - out of the box, the AE is set for local IPv6, but not global IPv6. If your modem or ISP aren't configured for IPv6 - both out of your control - your AE is just reading the settings available. Leave the setting on Automatic - when your ISP is ready, so will your AE. Cheers!

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Airport Utility doesn't have an "Off" setting. If you've set the Utility to Automatic it's picking up network settings and adjusting them as necessary. You're modem and/or ISP may not be IPv6 ready - out of the box, the AE is set for local IPv6, but not global IPv6. If your modem or ISP aren't configured for IPv6 - both out of your control - your AE is just reading the settings available. Leave the setting on Automatic - when your ISP is ready, so will your AE. Cheers!

iMac Network Preferences have three settings: Automatically, Link-Local only and Manually. The Modem I have is Motorola SB6141 and my ISP is Cox. Not sure they are IPv6 ready? Since the AE is set for local IPv6, isn't that equivalent to "Link-Locally Only" setting?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
iMac Network Preferences have three settings: Automatically, Link-Local only and Manually. The Modem I have is Motorola SB6141 and my ISP is Cox. Not sure they are IPv6 ready? Since the AE is set for local IPv6, isn't that equivalent to "Link-Locally Only" setting?

I was referencing the Airport Utility in my earlier post, not the Network Preference Pane - I thought you were too.

FYI, one of my employees is on Cox - she told me that residential accounts will not be enabled/ported to IPv6 until early-to-mid next year: http://www.cox.com/residential/supp...rticleId=0bced860-9666-11df-6baf-000000000000 - look for "When will the Cox network be upgraded to IPv6?". I'm on Comcast Business Class, and most of us are ready for IPv6 but some of us aren't, and none of our residential class employees are IPv6-capable. If you're on Cox residential, chill out for several months.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I was referencing the Airport Utility in my earlier post, not the Network Preference Pane - I thought you were too.

Actually, I was referring to the Network Preference on my iMac. The "Configure IPv6" pane was set at "Automatically" last night. This morning, the setting was gone and I have to set it back in order to "see" the Extreme on my iMac. So just wonder if I have to this everyday? Any idea?

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
FYI, one of my employees is on Cox - she told me that residential accounts will not be enabled/ported to IPv6 until early-to-mid next year: http://www.cox.com/residential/supp...rticleId=0bced860-9666-11df-6baf-000000000000 - look for "When will the Cox network be upgraded to IPv6?". I'm on Comcast Business Class, and most of us are ready for IPv6 but some of us aren't, and none of our residential class employees are IPv6-capable. If you're on Cox residential, chill out for several months.

Thanks for the info. I am on Cox residential so that I will be looking forward to it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Actually, I was referring to the Network Preference on my iMac. The "Configure IPv6" pane was set at "Automatically" last night. This morning, the setting was gone and I have to set it back in order to "see" the Extreme on my iMac. So just wonder if I have to this everyday? Any idea?

Set it to Automatically in OS X then click okay at the bottom then Apply at the bottom again to save the setting and it should stay. Also set IPV6 to automatically in Airport Util. Even if you don't have IPV6 yet, setting it like this will do no harm and will pick it up when you do have it.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Set it to Automatically in OS X then click okay at the bottom then Apply at the bottom again to save the setting and it should stay. Also set IPV6 to automatically in Airport Util. Even if you don't have IPV6 yet, setting it like this will do no harm and will pick it up when you do have it.

I set to Automatically on my iMac via Netework Preferences but overnight it changed back. So I tried last night set to Link-local only and this morning, it stays. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.