Airport Extreme A1143 dying - replace with Extreme or Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eoren1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

Here's my setup:
    Fios comes into the house and hits the Actiontec MI424WR router (link) which is a 802.11 b/g only router. I then have cat5e running out of the Actiontec to the AExtremeBS A1143 (1st gen).

Problem is that the AExtremeBS is dying. The green light remains on but the network seems 'punky' for lack of a better term. Speeds all over the place. Get disconnected periodically from iMac, iPhones, iPad etc. Also seem to have difficulty with signal when in basement (under and diagonal away from station).

So I'm in the market for a replacement. Options:
    1. Extreme June 2011 refurb - 139
    2. Express 2012 - 99
    3. Wait for Extreme to come out with 802.11ac

I currently only have my printer connected via cat5 to the AEBS (no hard drives, etc). I use the AEBS in 'create wireless network' mode to essentially extend supplant the Actiontec and allow 802.11n speeds. Can this be done with the Express?

Thanks in advance
    E

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Express is pretty much the same as the Extreme; smaller footprint and supports only 10 concurrent wireless connections instead of 50 on the Extreme.

You can have as many wired connections are you can give IPs; to do this with the Express you can use a wired switch since the Airport Express now has two Ethernet ports. You get the added benefit of supporting AirPlay speakers, and you can connect a printer or hard drive like with the Extreme via the built-in USB port.

Finally the Extreme has a lot longer range compared to the Express.

Basically you need to decide if you want more range, speed, and connectivity, go with the Extreme.

If you want AirPlay, and don't really need the range, then the Express will work fine.