Airport Extreme AC can't handle YouTube

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wamsankas, Oct 17, 2014.

1. wamsankas macrumors newbie

Hey all, im on my 2nd brand new airport extreme ac. everything runs great besides youtube. it is an issue in both safari and chrome. it seems as if my 2013 retina macbookpro and my new iphone 6 just drop communication with the airport whenever a youtube video begins. video starts up and looks great for about 3 seconds then the video just stops continuing to download. its very weird. there are other instances where a website will just stop loading mid way through and i just need to refresh the page and it downloads immediatly. its as if the airport just gives up. its fine when downloading say yosemite though. there was no giving up in the download there. please help! i have it connected to my att uverse 24mbps download router.

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

What are the chances you are in an apartment/condo/townhouse/extremely crowded area?

3. wamsankas thread starter macrumors newbie

i am in an apartment complex yes, but my computer/phone/appletv are the only ones on the airport extreme

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does this issue occur when connected to the AT&T U-Verse router? Is the AirPort in DHCP and NAT or Bridge Mode?

5. wamsankas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i have it connected to a attuverse router and the airport extreme is creating its own network, connect using DHCP, router mode is "Off (Bridge mode)"

----------

oh sorry I'm realizing you are saying i should connect direct to the router and see if its ATT fault or the airport extreme fault. id try that but i don't have a hard wired device. no ethernet ports.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have had zero problems with YouTube on my AirPort AC. And that's with reasonably crappy internet.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is the AT&T router wireless? If so, the network info is on the label at the bottom. If you change the AirPort to DHCP and NAT temporarily does it work ok? If so you need to make the AT&T router the bridge.

8. wamsankas thread starter macrumors newbie

the router does have wifi/wireless capability but i turned it off. ill mess around with the bridge stuff and see if it works.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You may want to reenable it to do the tests. Report back on your results.

10. eduardrw, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

eduardrw macrumors 6502

I use Uverse very successfully with the following setup:

Uverse gateway HGS 3801 is setup so that the Apple router is in the DMZ+
    http://www.jhartig.com/2010/04/2wire-router-dmz-plus-mode.html

After the initial setup I have all the TV set-top boxes (STB) connected to the Uverse gateway - some via ethernet - some via coax (I got 4 STB).

The apple router is also connected to the gateway.

The Uverse gateway Wifi is disabled.
    The Apple router does DHCP and NAT and WIFI.
    Once it is in DMZ, The Apple router has the public IP address to the outside world as if there is no uverse device in between.

All the advanced features for Apple routers work: Back to my Mac, Wake up on Lan, Extend WIFI, guest network, ....
    I have all my devices behind the Apple router.
    3 XBOX360's, PS4, 2 iMac's, 2 MBA's, 2 ipad's, 2 iphones. All works super stable.

Only thing not working with this setup is the Uverse iOS app's remote control via WIFI. This would require the ipad/iphone to be connected to the Uverse gateway WIFI. Scheduling recordings, deleting recordings and browsing works fine.

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

This happened with my equipment when I was on Comcast. Using a 3rd party DNS was the solution (like Google or OpenDNS).

12. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem and the solution for me was to switch my channel. It may seem like it wouldn't matter (since almost all of the other internet works fine) but, when streaming videos only it would drop my connection.

I'd at least try changing it to a different channel (and not automatic) and see if it helps.

13. eduardrw macrumors 6502

First the OP has to get his Uverse router setup right as described in my post above!

Once that is done and he still has issues (doubtful) all the other suggestions could be tried.

So lets not send him on a wild goose chase with all the well meaning suggestions of non UVerse users!