Airport Extreme admin question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by admanimal, Jan 23, 2008.

1. admanimal macrumors 68040

If I had an AEBS connected to a wired router, and my iMac connected to the wired router as well, is it still possible to administer the AEBS and access any disks/printers attached to it or do I have to connect directly to the AEBS (wirelessly or wired)?

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You can indeed, thanks to the magic of Bonjour! The only thing I will add is that if it's the new AirPort extreme that you have, you'll need the new AirPort Utility. It's included in Leopard - if you're still on Tiger, you'll need to install it from the CD supplied with the base station.

Also, something you should check (since this sounds like a recent change to your setup)... by default, your AirPort will act as a DHCP server, and it's likely your wired router will too. This can cause no end of problems for all sorts of apps and networking in general, so if this is happening you'd best turn off the DHCP server on the AirPort base station. I made this mistake for a very long time, and to put it bluntly it made port forwarding a royal pain in the a** until I realised what a n00bish mistake I'd made!

3. admanimal thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the info. Currently this is just a hypothetical setup, as I don't have any kind of Airport base station yet. Once I see whether Apple adds the ability to backup to AirDisk drives with Time Machine, I'll decide whether to just get a regular AEBS to go with the 500GB USB HD that I already have, or I'll get a Time Capsule.