Airport Extreme advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sarah3585, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

I have a O2 router in the hallway as that's where the phone line is. I am interested in buying the AE to access my external hard drive wirelessly and for another user to have access. I've also got my eye on a Dell network printer. Which would be in the office room. Just wondering what the best way to set this all up is? Will the AE have to be in the hallway with the router and external HD and I'll have to get a wireless bridge for the printer? Ideally I want as much in the office as I can.

Thanks

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

I have a BeThere modem which I imagine will be very similar to yours (O2 and BeThere are effectively the same).

I uploaded a custom template to my modem which assigns the internet IP to my AEBSn and it's that that does the main job of routing and providing wireless connectivity. The Bethere device acts as a modem only, no nat, no dhcp.

You have two options for your AE. 1. Put your AE in your office and run an ethernet cable from your O2 modem to the AE and set your AE to bridging mode. 2. If connecting them via ethernet is out of the question, you could try WDS: http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=WDS

3. sarah3585 thread starter macrumors regular

sarah3585

Thank you for your reply. So I can use the AE as a bridge to connect to a network printer rather than using a ethanet? (This is the one i've got my eye on http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166113)

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Depends on which device you want to share your internet connection. Both your modem and AEBS are capable of doing this.

If you continue to use your modem to do this, then you'll need to put your AEBS into bridge mode, then use either WDS (wireless) or an ethernet cable to get a connection to your AEBS.