AirPort Extreme + AirDisk + Backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zim, May 30, 2010.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am experimenting with two drives connected to my new AirPort Extreme. The first is for Time Machine, has been working well. The second is the experiment. The second drive is a storage drive that is usually attached to my iMac and is included in the Time Machine backups of the iMac. My question is if I decide to keep the storage drive on the AirPort then what would be the best way to keep it backed up? Could I run Carbon Copy Cloner from my laptop or would that just be a big mess? The goal would be to backup the storage drive to the other drive connected on the AirPort Extreme. I can live with the storage drive on my iMac if it is felt that this is a bad idea... just would be nice to be able to access the drive without having to have the iMac on... maybe I need to buy a less power consuming Mac Mini to be used as a server :rolleyes:

2. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

:( Just learned that Carbon Copy Cloner cannot backup over AirDisk so my idea doesn't work.. looks like I will be keeping my storage drive on my iMac and save up for that Mac Mini.