Airport Extreme AirDisk problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R.Youden, Aug 20, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have had a 'new' AEBS for about 1 month now (pre gigabit) and it has been working great. However, I am having a problem with the AirDisk feature. I have just bought a MiniMax external HD which sits great under my mini and AEBS. When I go into the AirPort Disk Utility nothing shows up in the drive list.

I have tried re-setting the AEBS but no joy. I have even tried connecting a USB stick but still no joy. The HD works fine when I connect to my other computers. The only thing that 'could' be causing the issue is that the USB port had previously been used for wireless printing. Could this possible confuse the AEBS?

Thanks for any help.

2. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have now tried to connect my printer to the USb hub built into the MiniMax and still no joy. Hmm, something not working here. Bummer!

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Right this is really starting to annoy me now...

I have my MacPro connected to my AEBS via ethernet. I have my MacBook Pro connected via Airport. I now have my HD connected to my AEBC via USB with my printer connected to the USB hub on the HD. I can now see the printer and print which is great, woo-hoo!

However, I still can not see the HD. When I go in AirPort Disk Utility I find nothing. on both my MacPro and MacBook Pro. When I open the AirPort Utility on my MacPro it finds nothing while it normally has done. On my MacBook Pro however the it finds the AEBS no problem. Under the Printer tab it finds my printer but still nothing under the HD option.

What the hell is going on???????

4. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i have the same issue on my mac pro i would suggest doing this go to finder and then servers and find your airport and connect to it that way thats the only way i can see the AE Disk

5. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I believe someone explained that the airport disk utility only sees drives if you are connected via wireless. You'll have to mount manually using afp, if you're wired I think.

6. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Actually it's weird that my WinXP PC doesn't have this problem when plugged in to the ethernet port. My MBP uses 802.11n and AirPort Disk utility sees it, and the PC sees it in the windows Airport Disk agent. Hunh.

7. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

This is incorrect. Both Macs in my house are wired and they see the drive that is connected to the AEBS and auto mounts it just fine.

The problem I have is that no computers can connect to my drive remotely over the internet. All settings are correct.

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

How do I connect via AFP? I go the Apple+k short cut, enter the router address (10.0.1.1) and then my password but no drive is shown in the list. It is almost like the software knows there is a drive connected but won't mount it.

9. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

OK just to be sure, you DID plug it directly into your mac via USB first, and partition and format it (choosing MacOS Extended in your case likely) ? The AirDisk utility needs you to have first configured it directly, before moving it to the AEBS.

10. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have formatted it as Mac OS Extended. How do I need to partition it?

Thanks.