Airport Extreme & AirDisk Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ymilord, May 6, 2007.

1. ymilord macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing a Airport Extreme. I notice a feature called "AirDisk" In which it will allow you to hook a external USB HDD to the unit.

My question is, When you attach the USB HDD to it, Does it format it in a special format? The reason why I ask I'd like to use a External 250GB Drive and use it ONLY for backup with a application called "SuperDuper" (Yes I know that the performance may not be so hot do the fact that interface is USB 2.0, But its a backup device so speed does not really matter for me.) And basically make a Bootable clone of my mac pro's Internal HDD.

So If i have any issues or need to run a utility on my Mac Pro Internal Drive I can mount that USB Drive on boot on startup - Run the Tool On my main drive or restore from it and continue working then sync the data back too or from the main drive.

Would this be possible with the AirDisk Option?

The secondary reason I'd like to get this device is the 802.11n support for my MacBook and a Apple TV in the very near future.

Thanks for taking the time on reading this and Extra thanks if you can provide any suggestions or answers to my questions above.

Ciao

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

It will read HFS+ just fine (the normal Mac disk format), so no worries there. I haven't tried installing the backup program that came with my LaCie drive yet, so I'm not sure if that works to a network mount, or if SuperDuper does.

3. ymilord thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. The plan (hopefully) is to physically move the External USB Drive to the Mac Pro when I need to restore or need to run a utility that needs full access to the Internal Drive.

Thanks for you input! Going to head the apple store in a little bit :)

Ciao