Airport Extreme--->Airport Express--->Airport Express---->Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rsherman112, Jan 12, 2010.

1. rsherman112 macrumors newbie

Trying to extend my range of my network. Would it be possible to have the Airport Extreme Base Station be repeated to an Airport Express, then to continue extending it further with another Airport Express?

Or does the Airport Express only pick up the signal from a Base Station?

2. sweex macrumors member

Euhm If you can pick up your range from your base station and extend it with your airport extreme, than you can also extend that wifi signal with an airport express.
    But I'm not sure that you will be able to extend your wifi signal at all, in my case it's not possible, I thought it was because of the fact that I have an adsl modem.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. dbwie macrumors 6502

If you are extending the range in a house or building, maybe consider one of those powerline ethernet adaptors?

4. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I have a 4 storey house and have used 1 extreme and 3 express to extend my network. I can now get a strongish signal at the end of my garden, which is roughly 20 metres from the nearest express. :):)

5. rsherman112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks London. I think. To clarify, does that last Express have contact with the Airport Extreme or does it get a signal from another Airport Express?

The answers I have found by searching are not that clear to me.

Basically if I have an Airport Extreme at one end of the house, can I keep repeating the signal from one airport extreme to the next to extend the range in a straight line...

...or does each Airport Express have to have contact with the the "mothership" Airport Extreme`?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can jump like you want, but you will take a speed hit for each jump.

if you can run an ethernet cable to where you want to put the expresses, that is a better option, and will allow you to keep your speed up.