Airport Extreme & Airport Express question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bmbbryan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bmbbryan macrumors newbie

Will connecting my cable modem via Ethernet to an Airport Express and then wirelessly to my Airport Extreme work? I've just moved and have no way to run wires. Wanted to ask before I bought Airport Express. Cable modem in basement and Airport Extreme on second floor. Is this the best way to go? Thanks!

Bernie

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

That should work fine yes, however you may find it more reliable to run a home plug between your modem and extreme rather than using wireless, if you really cannot run a cable.

3. bmbbryan, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

bmbbryan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, what's a "home plug"? My modem and extreme are on the same floor right now (2nd) but that is not ideal and very messy. I'm wanting to move the modem to the basement (out of the way) and connect the extreme somehow. I cannot run ethernet, as it's a new home and tighter than all get out - no pathways :( . I have good signal in the basement, so I was thinking wireless was the way to go. Thanks for your quick response!

Ok - I've researched HomePlug and that seems to be the ticket! If it works as advertised, I'm in business. Thanks for the tip - Bernie

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I think he means this by home plug:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055XKBW4?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
    You plug in into a powersocket in the basement, ethernet cable into it from the modem. Then plug the second one into a power socket where you want to have the airport extreme. Airport extreme gets internet signal from the socket via another ethernet cable

Connecting wireless from the extreme to express would half your internet speed to your computers.

The home plug thing is the best to use. The set I provided the link for includes two 1m ethernet cables

edit: saw that you edited your post. Nevermind then