Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
So I've got Comcast Modem -> Airport Extreme (3rd of 4th gen w/ "n"). on the main floor of my house. Up in my loft, I have an Airport Express that "extends" the network. I have my iMac wirelessly in the loft and my work laptop plugged in via Ethernet to the Airport Express.

Lately, the Express is dropping a bunch and the range is questionable.

1) Should I switch the Express and the Extreme, or

2) Should I buy a 2nd Extreme as a "bridge" and just hardwire everything in my loft?

I'm thinking that pairing 2 extreme's will be more stable, but it's also $150. I guess I could buy the new express as well and then get a 5-port switch.

Thoughts on beefing up reliability?

----------

Was also thinking about not "extending" the network, but just having the express join the network and maybe adding a switch? Both of my Airport devices are new enough that they both support 'N'

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Up in my loft, I have an Airport Express that "extends" the network. I have my iMac wirelessly in the loft and my work laptop plugged in via Ethernet to the Airport Express.

I don't think this is even possible. It's either
Extend the network, connect clients only wirelessly or
Join the network without extending it and also allow wired devices.

Seems to me the range of your express is fine, you're simply connected directly to your Extreme.

You probably don't need a new Airport device. Either connect your laptop wirelessly (which you probably can't do) or get a cheap Ethernet to WiFi adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344551413&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+wifi+adapter

Edit: open Airport Utility. It'll tell you which device is connected to which Airport base station.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Turns out I got things to work reliably. Here's my setup:

1st floor: Comcast Cable Modem -> Airport Extreme (Wireless)

2nd floor (loft): Airport Express (just "joined" network instead of extending) -> Ethernet Switch

I now run all my computers in my loft (pc laptop + iMac) wired off the switch and the connection is SUPER reliable and fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.