Airport Extreme alone or with Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by helios16v, Aug 23, 2011.

1. helios16v, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

helios16v macrumors regular

I just bought a broken 20" iMac G5 1.8GHz for $70.00 because it wont turn on. After opening it up I found three capacitors that have popped.
    [​IMG]

I then found 10 replacement 1000 micro farad 16 volt capacitors on eBay for only $0.99 with free shipping. I also noticed there is an empty location inside where an airport card should be.

I am just trying to figure out which card I need for this as I came across two different ones for "iMac G5 Airport".

One says Airport Extreme and just plugs in and the other says Airport Extreme with Bluetooth but it screws in with two screws..

I would love to have a Bluetooth in this as I know it's an option but I don't know if this model has separate Airport and Bluetooth cards or if I need the single combined card I found online.

Thanks
    -Ben

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Cool, that's a handy site!

Damn, now i'm thinking I should give a try at fixing a motherboard with bad capacitors. All it takes is some soldiering and new caps right? Let us know how your repair goes :)

3. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

That was really handy, thanks!

I'll take a look in the iMac when I'm off work to see if the Bluetooth card is in there or not so I know what I'm buying.

If you wanna see how the soldering goes when it's done just keep an eye out for a new build thread on this iMac once I have everything I need. I'll be show the whole repair and upgrade process from beginning to end.. I feel 2GB of RAM and a 1TB Hard Drive is in order haha.

Thanks again, you were a great help :)
    -Ben